Sign In to join the community | Help
Kitchen

Can I put Tile on top of a "portable" dishwasher?

Hello,

I have an 18" dishwasher that rolls on the floor and I connect it to the kitchen faucet when in use.  The top of the dishwasher is white, but I like to use it as an additional counter in my small kitchen.

I would like to cover the top with a durable material that is easy to clean.  I do have some tiles on hand. 

What would anyone think about covering the top surface of this dishwasher with ceramic tiles?  Is there any one who could direct me on how to do it?

Or would you recommend something else that is durable and easy to clean to cover it with?

I appreciate your help and guidance.
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2018-03-20T20:16:09+0000  by KHanciPhoto KHanciPhoto

Hello KHanciPhoto,

Yes, I think you could put tile on the top of that dishwasher. I would just keep in mind that it would make it a little top heavy so you would need to be careful when you move it.

If it were mine, I would build a frame/base out of thin wood and then lay the tile in it. That way I could remove it if need be or if I wanted to change it or need to repair it you could do so without damaging the dishwasher.

I would use a ¼” outer frame that would be wide enough to go to the top of the tile and go down around the top of the dishwasher so that it would stay in place. Use 1/4” plywood base for under the tile. Then you could use either a SimpleMat or mastic to install the tiles.

Thank you for your question. 

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I would love to help. 

Posted 2018-03-21T20:45:55+0000  by Christine_HD_OC
Thank you so much for a great answer Christine!

I have never done anything like this, so I am completely clueless, and your suggestion of the frame that would go over the top of the dishwasher is golden!

Now, I need to figure out how to make that happen :)

Thank you again!

Posted 2018-04-03T00:57:38+0000  by KHanciPhoto

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+