Sign In to join the community | Help
Flooring

Can I put down new sheet vinyl over my old vinyl, in a bathroom? The old vinyl is in good shape

There is one crack extending about 3 inches, very very small, and appears to be where sub floor sheet butt to each olther.  All seems solid.

Since this is a bath, can I use glueless floor and just glue at the edges??  I've not used glueless vinyl.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2014-01-25T22:04:20+0000  by houseman houseman

Hey houseman,

Thanks for your question and welcome to the community!

Using sheet vinyl is a great choice for bathrooms, and can be placed right over old existing ones....provided its clean and level first.

If the 3 inch crack is very small as you say, you can go over it. However, make sure the crack isn't wide or too deep. You can fill in crevices with embossing leveler if you like, if you want to make sure the crack is filled.

Depending on what type of sheet vinyl linoleum you purchase will determine how and if you can glue it. If it is modified loose-lay (meaning glue optional) you can glue it if you wish, but using thin vinyl tape around the edges and at the center is just as good as any glue out there.

You can click on the image of it in action below to see if it is sold in your local Home Depot.

Again, depending on what kind of sheet vinyl linoleum you buy will determine whether or not it can be glued or taped down.

In either option, I'd highly recommend to install quarter round molding on top of it (if there isn't any now) and seal the gaps with silicone caulking. You can also seal around the tub sans the moulding if you'd like, but using silicone prevents moisture from entering the perimeter of the floor.

Let me know if you have any further questions, and I hope you have found this information helpful.

Cheers,

Joseph

Posted 2014-01-25T22:30:07+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+