Sign In to join the community | Help
Flooring

Answered

Can I regrout a shower with Fusion Pro?

I have a shower with a lousy grouting job...
I would like to replace the grout with a completely waterproof type grout.
I have read that epoxy grout is difficult to use and very expensive and I know that typical sanded grout will need LOTS of sealing to do the trick... So, I was trying to split the difference and use the Fusion Pro product I found today. 

The problem is that I can't find any reference to this stuff being used to re-grout. 

Also, how waterproof is it compared to epoxy type grout?

Thanx,

Steve M
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2015-03-30T02:24:42+0000  by Stevem14 Stevem14

Fusion Pro is fairly well described by the manufacturer Stevem14; and it does include showers.

"Custom Building Products Fusion Pro Single Component Grout is a professional grade, single component sanded grout. Fusion Pro requires no mixing and is ready to use on ceramic, porcelain, glass tiles and polished natural stone. It is suitable for exterior and interior wall and floor use.

California residents: see  Proposition 65 information

• Advanced acrylic plus silicone resin formulation
  • Provides superior color consistency
  • Includes microban antimicrobial product protection to inhibit the growth of stain causing mold and mildew on grout
  • Cures to a hardness similar to cement grouts
  • Easy to use, won't effloresce, spreads easily, saves time because it doesn't need to be sealed
  • Can be used on virtually all types of tile and natural stone
  • Crack and chemical resistant
  • For grout joints 1/16 in. - 1/2 in. (1.6 - 13 mm) wide
  • For use on countertops, tub surrounds, showers and high traffic areas
  • Sample colors shown may vary from actual grout; final installed shade can differ based on tile type, porosity, job site conditions and finishing techniques"

If you are experiencing a leak, don't overlook the possibility that the drain is the source.

This is very common on shower pans that give slightly under foot pressure.

If you have access below the shower, use a ladder and a spotlight to have a look.

Best Answer

Posted 2015-04-07T21:29:13+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL
For the information of others reading this thread, there are two ways to provide a moisture barrier for showers/tubs.  If you're using a cement backer board then 6 mil plastic sheeting is placed behind the backer board.  The other option is to use a waterproofing membrane like Schluter's Kerdi or Laticrete's HydroBan.

I don't know if epoxy grout is truly waterproof but it is, as you noted, far more expensive, more difficult to work with (although new versions are better), and you don't want to use it on unglazed tiles.  There are tens of millions of homes with ordinary grout and some fraction of those may be sealed.  My gut reaction is that epoxy grout is overkill and if you truly have a water problem, then it should be a addressed using one of the methods above.
Posted 2015-03-30T09:12:39+0000  by Adam444
I was hoping to find out some more about the Fusion Pro Grout...

Thanx for the reply though...

I would love to replace the entire shower pan because I believe it was done wrong, however I don't have the time or the money to get that done right now...  I have a feeling that the previous builder/contractor that installed the shower punctured or cut the pan moisture barrier.  Sealing the grout well is simply an attempt at a stop gap for the leakage until I can replace the whole pan.

Steve
Posted 2015-03-31T15:50:09+0000  by Stevem14
Thanx for the info Pat...

I'm gonna try it out and see how it goes...

I have a bottle of 511 Impregnator Sealer too, and I'm going to use that on of the other grout areas where I cannot get all of the old grout out. 
The drain is solid, and the grout around it is not discolored at all.  The grout in the corners and on the dam are the worst.  Some of that grout has cracked and fallen out by itself.  If you want I can let you know how it works out...

Thanx again,
Steve
Posted 2015-04-13T07:09:27+0000  by Stevem14

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+