Sign In to join the community | Help
Building Materials

Can I remake a mosaic tile table top that's been warped?

Here's a question that comes to us via The Apron blog, in the comments section of an article about how to create a mosaic tile top for a patio table

Diana B. writes:

I have a stunningly beautiful mosaic table that warped in the weather (I’d been told when I bought it that it would be fine outside – NOT). I’d love to remove all the tiles and remake it. Is this a ridiculous task or is it possible to reuse all the tiles? Do I need to clean off all the old grout from each piece, or can I pull it off in sections and re-do it that way?

Any advice for Diana B.?

Thanks!

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2014-01-03T15:19:41+0000  by HomeDepotCraig HomeDepotCraig

Without knowing how the table was originally constructed, it's hard to say what went wrong.  As someone mentioned in the blog comments, even pressured plywood isn't the best choice for a substrate.  Heck, take a sheet of PT plywood and just let it sit for a few days, it warps pretty fast. 

The other thing that people need to remember is that backer board is NOT waterproof.  It's tolerant of water, which means it won't break down with exposure to water like, say, drywall.  That's why when it's used in a bath or shower the framing behind the board needs to be protected from moisure.

As for reusing the mosaics, it's possible but time consuming to clean off the old thinset and grout.  It would certainly be quicker and probably a lot less frustrating just to buy new tile.

Posted 2014-01-03T17:03:05+0000  by Adam444

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+