Sign In to join the community | Help
Kitchen

Can I remove the wood between two cabinet doors under the sink without causing damage?

Can I remove the wood between two cabinet doors under the sink without causing damage?

Thanks.

Ilusion.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-09-06T16:17:52+0000  by ilusion ilusion

Hi illusion,

Thank you for your question and welcome to our community.

The center piece on your cabinets is actually a support structure for the sink, you can remove it providing you add a new support piece on the inside to replace the load that the center piece was carrying, plus this strip is what keeps the doors supported when they are closed unless you have a ½ in overlay from the doors onto the frame.

Kitchen cabinet with center post & doors.jpg                kitchen-remodeling, no counter yet.jpg           

kitchen-remodeling, no counter yet w-diagram.jpg

You will need to look at the design of your kitchen cabinets to see if it is feasible to remove the center support piece.  It may very well be something you can accomplish, but be sure that you replace that load that the center strip is carrying.  Without replacing that piece, your cabinets could sag in the middle and even cause your counter top to crack!

Please let us know if you have any further questions.  Be sure to take some video of your project and share it with the rest of the community in our Project Library under "I Did This".

Posted 2013-09-06T22:13:08+0000  by Rick_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+