Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Can I use a roller to apply skim coat on plaster walls?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-05-13T23:16:22+0000  by Lagr317 Lagr317

Hello Lagr317!

Applying anything on top of plaster is a bit more complicated than simply skim coating (typically done with sheetrock mud).

Skim coating is typically done with a mud trowel.

What is your goal for this project ... reply with a little more detail and we'll try to find a solution.

Posted 2013-05-14T14:46:07+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Hi Pat

Thanks for reponding.  My project is to re-do my daughter's room.  The house is very old and the walls are plaster.  Since the recent NYC earthquake there are many cracks in the walls and also in the ceiling which is also plaster.   My co-worker told me about compound with skim coat.  

My daughter's room has walls that also have tiny bumps which makes the surface rough.  I would like to smooth out the walls so that they will look good when I paint them.

Also, what can be done for the ceiling?   I am afraid that if it gets worst, it might fall.    I am a single mom but can do

pretty much everything around the house when it comes to fixing things but I feel that this job may be alittle much for me.

I have watched videos online and the process don't seem to be too difficult but I don't want to start something and not be able to finish it.

Do you know if Home Depot has people who can do the job for you?

Posted 2013-05-14T22:49:04+0000  by Lagr317

Hello Again Lagr317!

Several types of plaster are manufactured with very slightly textured material.

You'll almost always see this texture on the finished wall, no matter how long you work to smooth the surface.

You have two options:

1) Sand with a very high number paper ... 220 or higher; or

2) Wet sand with a dampened tile sponge.

Expect to spend considerable time and create significant dust ... cover doorways, air conditioning vents and air conditioning returns before beginning.

Will you be satisfied? Possibly not!

Your final result is not likely to be as smooth as drywall.

If this is your goal, you might reconsider before beginning.

Finally, plaster is most often installed on lath that helps maintain the shape of the surface.

If the lath on your ceiling appears to be loose, you may want to secure this substrate before repairing the cracks.

ONE OTHER OPTION:

A demolition party followed by installation of drywall is time consuming, costly, and possibly dustier than plaster repair.

However, with good installation, you should get perfectly smooth walls.

Posted 2013-05-16T13:51:50+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+