Sign In to join the community | Help

Can I use textured spray paint to fix chipped laminate topped desks and tables?

Can a textured spray paint level out chipped laminate?  

Can I still use it as a work surface?

How durable will it be?  

Is it difficult to get an even coat?


Thank you!

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-07-22T15:27:49+0000  by amyreilly amyreilly

Hi Amy,


You can use textured spray paint to cover the chips however it will not adhere well and will wipe off when you clean the counters.


In addition getting it level, without sanding the surface is next to impossible. If you sand the area you will damage the surrounding laminate and create a larger area of damage.


Rust-O-Leum does make a counter top refinishing kit; however you must refinish the entire countertop, not just some areas.


Best solution, live with the chips, or replace the countertop.



Posted 2013-07-22T17:17:59+0000  by Mike_HD_OC



You might consider filling in the chipped areas with "Bondo". Bondo is the product auto body guys use to fill minor dings in car fenders. It is a catalysed polyester . The thick cream is mixed with a dab of the hardener and sets within 5 minutes. It can then be sanded to smooth it to the level of the laminate. Bondo is located in the glue section of the paint department at Home Depot.


Your top can then either be rolled with the RustOleum Counter Top paint, or sprayed with one of the RustOllleum's 2X spray paints  which will bond directly to plastics and laminates. You should give the laminate a good scuff sanding with a 320 grit paper to help assure a good bond.


A textured spray paint could be used after  application of the RustOleum primer, but the texture would not make a very good writing surface and would not be as easy to wipe clean as a smooth finish


Just a couple possible alternatives.

Posted 2013-07-22T18:12:44+0000  by ordjen
Hi amyreilly,

Loctite Universal Epoxy Putty is excellent filler that is both sandable and paintable.

Simply cut off a cross-section to match the size of your repair, completely blend the two colors together with your fingers, apply to slightly overfill the damage, allow to dry about one-hour, sand, prime, and paint.

This product is very similar to Bondo, which Ordjen recommends ... but the putty stick is more appropriate amount of filler for your small repair.
Posted 2015-12-10T18:41:14+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question