Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

Can I use the canned spray foam around the electrical outlets in my existing walls To add insulation

I would like to add more insulation to my existing walls.  I have put the foam outlet inserts in each electrical cover but I still feel a draft around some of the outlets on my outside walls.  I was curious as to the use of the canned spray foam around the outlets themselves and if this was feasible or not.  Thanks!

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2014-01-14T16:48:57+0000  by diyblonde diyblonde

Hello diyblonde.  Welcome to the Community!

While it would be OK to use spray foam insulation NEXT to an electrical box if there is a gap between the box and the wall, you do NOT want to fill the box which contains the outlet with anything.  This outlet box has to be accessible and open since it contains wiring.  Please don't spray foam into the box around the outlet.

If the draft you feel is due to a gap outside the box, I would use some form of caulk instead of the spray foam to fill the gap.  Caulk or a clay type rope caulk would be far less messy, easier to control and cheaper to use.  If the draft actually comes through the conduit, all you can do is use the foam outlet inserts.

Is this what you are looking for?

Chris.

Posted 2014-01-14T17:38:13+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI

Hi Chris,

Yes that was just what I needed.  I did know that spraying the foam in the outlet box was not the thing to do but I wanted to know about spraying it around the box.  I think I will try the calk instead like you suggested.  I think I can control that better than the foam.  I was afraid the foam would expand into the box and cause problems.  I will use that around the doors and windows like the can says.  Thanks and have a great day!

Posted 2014-01-14T19:07:45+0000  by diyblonde

You are welcome.

Thanks for the feedback.

Chris.

Posted 2014-01-14T19:11:21+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+