Sign In to join the community | Help
Customer Care

Can anyone identify this bug/insect?

bug1.JPG

bug1.JPG

I found this in my closet. It was stuck to glue and not alive. I have a very scary idea of what it can be but would like a second opinion to hopefully prove me wrong

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2014-01-07T22:23:41+0000  by kwaszak810 kwaszak810

Hi kwaszak810,

Thank you for your question and welcome to our community.

From the looks of your little critter, it appears to be a Tick.  Your bug looks to have 8 legs, showing that it is a mature tick.  Have you been in the woods or in a brushy area lately? 

Any area that is accessible to the wild animal population, especially in the spring and summer time, can be susceptible to being a hangout for ticks who are just waiting for something warm blooded to saunter by so they can drop down onto it. Be it animal, backpack, hat, scarf or head of hair!! 

Tick-black version.jpg Tick-Red version.jpg

It does not appear to be a Bedbug, it is the wrong shape.  It is too large and too rounded for a Bedbug. 

bedbug (1).jpg bed_bug.jpg 

Spiders can also have 8 legs but they also have a Thorax at the end of their body.  Your bug does not appear to have a separate head & Thorax.

Spider-Black female house spider-Badumna insignis.jpg Spider Black-Widow.jpg

If you can get a real good close-up picture of your insect, that would be great.

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Posted 2014-01-08T00:16:19+0000  by Rick_HD_OC

Hi there Kwaszak810,

I’m Jen, from The Home Depot.  Welcome to the community!

I would like to chime in with my co-worker Rick in CA.  I am located in Rhode Island and live in deer country.  I encounter ticks almost daily and it does not look like a tick to me.  However, like Rick mentioned a closer picture would be helpful.  I was able to enlarge the photo and my guess would be that you have a Spider Beetle.

Shiny Spider Beetle.jpg

Shiny Spider Beetle 

The distinct difference between the beetle and the tick is the humped back.  A tick is generally flat backed until they are filled with blood and then the entire body blows up and turns a greyish color.  The spider beetle has a humped back, shiny brownish/black shell and fine hairs that cover the head, thorax, legs and antennae.

The spider beetle can easily be mistaken for a tick or bed bug.  If you are concerned that you have bed bugs, I agree with Rick, I do not think that is the case.

Spider Beetles are scavengers and are attracted to moist/damp areas.  The survive by eating many house hold pantry type items such as, grains, flour, crackers, spices, hairs, rodent droppings, moldy food etc.

The best method of control is to seal all pantry food items in plastic or glass containers.  Vacuum the closet area and then you can place glue traps, if concerned. 

Glue Board.jpg

The problem should go away just by cleaning and sealing the items and making it less desirable for them to live in your home.  Chemicals should not be necessary.

Let me know what you think.  

Posted 2014-01-08T14:19:36+0000  by Jen_HD_BOS

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+