Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Can vinyl fence be painted?

Can vinyl fence be painted?
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-02-10T17:54:36+0000  by RogerAJ RogerAJ

RodgerAJ,

Vinyl fencing can be painted. The PVC vinyl , from which siding and fencing is made, accepts 100% acrylic paints, such as the exterior paints by Behr, very well. They may be applied directly to the vinyl without a primer. 

However, there is a caveat: PVC vinyl expands and contracts greatly. You would be well advised to only choose light colors, as dark colors attract heat and cause excessive expansion. In the worst case, permanent warping could occur. You may have noticed that you have never seen plastic fencing, siding or windows in dark colors, this is the reason why. Plastic ccomposites, such as fiberglass, are not subject to the same dire warning.

Otherwise, painting of plastic is like with other substrates: clean the surface and possibly give a scuff sanding, especially if the surface is relatively new and not yet dulled with age.
Posted 2016-02-10T21:51:03+0000  by ordjen
Hi RogerAJ,

It is never a crime to prime ... among the most accurate and useful statements in the paint industry.

In the case of vinyl and plastics, when manufactured a release material is used to prevent them from sticking inside the mold form.

This material can also make it difficult for paint to adhere.

A detergent pressure cleaning followed by a high-pressure rinse can help eliminate the extrusion release residue.

After the surface dries completely, you'll want to apply a primer like Zinsser 123.

On the label, the manufacturer notes vinyl among the surfaces to which 123 will adhere.

In addition, they note "Dries Quickly, Use Any Topcoat."

This means that you can select any exterior paint as your topcoat.

FINALLY:
When dark colored paint or primer is applied over vinyl, both materials tend to collect heat, which often causes the vinyl to warp.

Plan to use off-white colors for long-lasting results.

Dark and Mid-tone colors may not survive as long.

Your local Paint Associate can assist you with color selection.

Hope this helps!

Pat InPaint
Posted 2016-02-11T16:21:56+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL
Actually, vinyl siding is an extruded product , NOT molded and needing of release agents. It is kind of like when mom made those cookies in the cookie press, it just keeps oozing out! 

The assumption is that vinyl siding is being painted because it has been up for a few years and a new color is desired. Years of weathering will have long ago cleansed away any release agents and dulled the surface somewhat. However, I would agree with the statement that "It is never wrong to prime", but I would personally have no qualms about painting directly over older vinyl siding or fencing with Behrs Ultra or Marquee. The Nano technology used by them increases the ability of the paint to penetrate the surface of the plastic substrate. This is in addition to the normal great adhesive qualities of 100% acrylic Behr paint.

Over my contracting years, I have painted much vinyl and aluminum siding, including my own, with good results and never a call back from upset customers.
Posted 2016-02-15T00:40:04+0000  by ordjen

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+