Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Answered

Can you give me a list of procedures/products for painting a dirty concrete floor?

Hi,  I have started preparing my concrete garage floor for painting.  So far I have used a cleaner degreaser product from Behr, and then a cleaner/etcher from Behr as well.  It is now drying out.  There are some hairline cracks in the concrete which I would understand should be filled with urethane caulking.  Could you provide me with the following:

1. Recommend a urethane caulking

2. Exactly which concrete sealer should I use and how many coats

3. Which garage paint would you recommend and how many coats...should the coats be thin or thick

4. Is there a final coating or sealer that I should use on top of the paint.

This is a 600 sq ft garage floor so I really want to make sure that I don't make any mistakes as they would be costly and time consuming.

Thanks

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-08-14T15:48:12+0000  by Ret Ret

Welcome to our community Ret!

Thank you for your questions! Sounds like you have a good start in the prep for painting your garage floor. I will help you with the rest of project. ;)

1. I called Behr directly and asked them about urethane caulk for your hairline cracks. They recommend any paintable concrete caulk. If you would like to use urethane based caulk, PL S10 will work well. 

2. Depending on the kind of epoxy paint you use will depend on if you need to use a primer. Let me jump into the options that you have for paint before I go in to what kind of primer to use.

3. Behr sells both a 1 part and a 2 part epoxy paint for garage floors.

Behr 1- Part Epoxy Concrete and Garage Floor coating resists chemicals and hot tire pick up and is slip resistant. It leaves a satin finish. One gallon will cover 400- 500 square feet and should be applied with a 3/8" nap roller. This product requires 2 coats.

If you are applying this product over a bare surface, you will need to apply Behr Bonding Primer before painting. Do not use a primer if you are applying this product over a coated surface.

Allow 7 days before driving on the surface after the 2nd coat is applied.

Behr 2- Part Epoxy Concrete and Garage Floor coating is also resistant to chemicals and hot tire pick up. It leaves a semi-gloss finish (a tad bit shinier than satin) and you can drive on it after only 3 days. No primer is needed for this product. You will apply this product with a 3/8" nap roller. 1 gallon covers 200- 250 square feet. In most cases, you will only need to apply 1 coat. You can apply a 2nd coat and in doing so it will increase the sheen and will optimize the performance.

4. No final top coat or sealer is required on top of either of these products.

Before I leave you, I would like to direct  you to some videos for you to look at before you begin your project.

How-To: Apply Behr Premium 1-Part Epoxy Concrete and Garage Floor Coating

Behr Premium 2- Part Epoxy Garage Floor Coating

If you have any more questions, please let us know!

Christine :)

Best Answer

Posted 2013-08-14T17:50:55+0000  by Christine_HD_ATL
Thanks very much. I do have one more question though..how difficult is it to thoroughly mix the two part epoxy?
Posted 2013-08-15T16:03:36+0000  by Ret

Hello again,  I could not find Loctite at my local Home Depot but I did find Quikrete polyurethane self-leveling sealant.  Unfortunately according to Quikrete, this product cannot be used with an epoxy paint.  Can you suggest another product that you do carry?

Thanks

Posted 2013-08-15T17:39:22+0000  by Ret

Hello Ret,

I'm so sorry it took us so long to get back to you! :smileysad:

Mixing the 2 parts for the 2-part epoxy just take a little bit of stirring. You will need to stir it for at least 5 minutes to make sure it is mixed completely and that the color is uniform. Using a stir stick will be sufficient. If you choose the 2- part epoxy, once you mix it, you only have 4 hours to use it. Make sure that all of your prep is complete before mixing to make sure you do not run out of working time.  

As far as which concrete sealant to use, you can use any concrete sealant that is paintable, according to Behr. If you follow this link for concrete caulk and click on the "In Store" tab, you can see which of these your store carries. When you click on a product, it will tell you in the description if it is paintable. Also, you can check and see how many your store has in stock. :smileyhappy:

If you have any more questions, please let us know!

Christine :smileyhappy:

Posted 2013-08-19T11:41:11+0000  by Christine_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+