Sign In to join the community | Help
Kitchen

Answered

Can you re-laminate laminate cabinets in great condition? Or is painting a better option?

I have the 1980's style laminate kitchen (3/4 boarder on top and cream laminate on bottom).  The cabinets themselves are wood and in great condition, the doors and face plate is laminated but still in really great condition.  I'm tired of the look.  Can I re-laminate them to look like wood in a more modern contemporary style?  Or is painting them a better option?  In either case, can this be done as a DIY job? 

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-09-23T18:30:06+0000  by VeTin VeTin

Hi VeTin,

You can laminate over the existing cabinet bodies easily. Relaminating the doors will be a more difficult task, however depending upon the amount of detail on the doors.

If they are raised panel for example it will be more difficult than if they are flat doors.

The existing doors and bodies will have to sanded to remove any sheen and then the new laminate can be glued on.

Painting would be a lot simpler option if you like the painted look.

We offer at the Home Depot Rust-Oleum’s new Cabinet Transformations paint system.

This is an all in one kit designed to do exactly what you want, refinish your cabinets. Check it out at your local Home Depot.

I have included links below.

Mike,

http://www.homedepot.com/p/RUST-OLEUM-Transformations-1-Kit-Espresso-Rust-Oleum-Cabinet-Transformations-Small-263231/203921566#.UkCdHtJJNlA

http://cabinets.rustoleumtransformations.com/

Best Answer

Posted 2013-09-23T20:04:49+0000  by Mike_HD_OC

I think I had those doors in a house I once owned.  :smileyembarrassed:  Ours had the laminate at the top and an oak pull "strip" at the bottom.

Formica (the brand) offers laminate specifically for doors in a about 20 wood patterns.  And another 100+ varieties if none of those are to your liking.  And there's Wisonart too.

Assuming it's the door I'm thinking about, there shouldn't be any problem laminating over the existing laminate.  Make sure they're good and clean and you'll need to abrade the surface, which is harder than it sounds even with a sander.  I'd do the edges first, then the front and back faces.

You'll need a trim router with a flush cutting bit.  A tablesaw would be really nice to size the edge strips.  A fine file to knock off the sharp edge (freshly cut laminate is sharp, really sharp, like knife sharp).   J-roller.  I always liked the old fashioned solved based contact cement.  It stinks to high heaven but works.  I have tried any of the water based products in recent years, maybe they're better today.  If you haven't done any laminating, it would be best to practice.  Once the glue grabs it isn't going anywhere.

If you have the Euro hinges you'll need to recut the hole in the laminate.

Posted 2013-09-23T21:53:46+0000  by Adam444
does HD provide a re-laminating service?
Posted 2013-12-03T18:20:50+0000  by lplatt

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+