Sign In to join the community | Help
Flooring

Cap-a-Tread

Just noticed the new cap a tread products, looks easy enough to install however..any info on how to?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-05-05T12:09:31+0000  by Maryan Maryan

Hi Maryan, welcome to the community. Good question as not all stair cap install the same.

Maryan the easiest way is to show you with an instruction web page. Basically you’re going to remove any covering you have on the stairs. Then make sure the area is clean and dry.

Next measure width and depth of the stair for a precision fit. You may have to cut the cap a thread to fit your existing stair.

Then dry fit the cap a thread to the area, to make sure it is fits.

Next you will use a construction adhesive to install the cap a thread to secure in place.

I have provided an installation guide for the cap a thread and for risers. You can go to our web page and choose the cap-a thread that compliments your stairs.

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdfImages/f8/f82e7d8b-c703-4848-aba8-0fa69d50f88c.pdf

Posted 2013-05-09T23:23:03+0000  by Ken_HD_OC

Another couple of questions regarding Cap A Tread if I may ...

1. )  Does the tread match to other laminates when you reach the top of the stairs or will I be making a butt joint there?

2. )  Are there treads with two bullnosed sides for a stair that is open on one side?

3. )  If not, is it recommended to miter the tread?

Thanks for your time and expertise,   Cindi

Posted 2013-07-07T02:45:53+0000  by cjd

Hi Cindi,

I just recently purchased these for my laminate install and I think I can answer a couple of these questions for you...  Hopefully not too late!

1) The top of the staircase will still be finished with stair nose like a traditional installation, as the cap a tread does not lock in with the flooring (and your flooring still needs an expansion gap).

2/3) There are treads with an open left or right available.  For my flooring, this or this would have been the return I would have used for open stairs (depending on open left or right).  However, I don't have any open stairs, so I'm not entirely sure what the return looks like.  The photo in the installation guide posted above shows a couple of these open stairs if you wanted to see what they look like installed.

Hope this helps!

Nate

Posted 2013-07-26T17:13:41+0000  by holybjork

Can these be utilized with pie stairs?

Posted 2013-10-06T00:13:40+0000  by purpledoodlerp

Hey purpledoodlelerp,

Thanks for your question and welcome to the community!

For those who don't know, pie steps are ones that curve with the angle of the direction of the staircase. This is done, so a flat landing is not used.

As long as you map out and design the measurements of each step, this will make pieces easier to cut and use.

Typically, you will want to measure the depth of the winding or pie step perpendicular to the bullnose at the tread's widest point. This is done to ensure the bullnose you use will align properly to the step.

Let me know if you have any further questions,

Joseph

Posted 2013-10-09T16:07:25+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Another question on the installation of the cap-a-tread.

After removing the carpeting from my stairs, I see the current stair treads are done with 2x12 boards that overhang the risers by about an inch and not a bull nose tread as pictured in the cap-a-tread installation instructions.  So the cap-a-tread will not just fit over the current treads (too thick).

I have seen some videos posted on you tube showing preparing the stairs by first cutting off the overhang so the current stair tread is flush with the risers, but it would seem then that the attached nose of the cap-a-tread would be unsupported by any solid piece of wood. Is that Ok?  Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Posted 2013-11-08T20:12:14+0000  by lil_cazz

The actual thickness of the existing stair treads should be 1-1/2 inches thick - so the bull nose should fit fine. The CAP-A-TREAD system is designed to work over bull nosed or square nosed end caps.  

The actual depth of the CAP-A-Tread is 12-1/8 to the outside of the nose. So the existing stair tread should be no larger than 12-3/16 in order to fit properly. If cutting is necessary, then consider just adding the cap and installing a small trim piece at the back of the stair to hide the difference.

cap-a-tread.jpg

Posted 2013-11-11T18:23:04+0000  by Kevin_HD_ATL

I am installing Cap-A-Tread on my home's main floor stairs.  The main floor stairs rise 9 steps to 42"x42" landing, then the stairs turn right and rise 4 steps to the upstairs floor.

My dilemma has to do with transitioning the following:

1. the laminate flooring at the top floor with the first step down (4 step to the landing); and
  2. the laminate flooring I laid on the landing with the first step down (9 steps to the main floor).

I would use the Cap-A-Tread for these two edges (to match the other steps), but I would have to "butt" the lip against the laminate flooring (and also rip cut the tread).  Pergo has a bullnose piece that I can use for the two edges, but the bullnose edge is only 3/4 of an inch wide (vs. the Cap-A-Tread's 1.75 inch width).  

The difference in spacing (thanks to the landing and the top floor step) looks "odd."  Maybe I'm being picky, but do you have any other ideas for how I might address this?

Thanks in Advance.  Walt

Posted 2013-11-15T23:13:28+0000  by Wgaich

So sorry for the delay on your question...I missed it.:smileysad:

I recently had a similar situation in my own home while installing laminate flooring.  I used a simple oak reducer strip that I stained to the color that best matched.  I attached it to the edge with the low taper at the step.  We haven't had any incidence yet with anyone tripping on it.

Posted 2013-12-02T17:20:02+0000  by Kevin_HD_ATL

What are the best blades to use to cut the cap a tread?  Miter saw and table saw. I read that laminate really chews thru blades becasue of the coating.  I read carbide is best, but how many teeth per blade for these saws?

Posted 2014-01-20T20:11:28+0000  by jdh123
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+