Sign In to join the community | Help
Flooring

Carper + Vinyl

I'm putting floors in my basement.  Currently the floor is the concrete foundation.  Its a newer home, so the concrete floors are shockingly even and level.  For the new floors, I'll have carpet right next to vinyl plank.  I've seen many new houses with carpet directly next to hard surface flooring with no transition or molding on top of the new surfaces.  I'm installing the vinyl plank flooring myself, but the carpet will be installed by pro's.  I want to avoid those ugly transitions at all costs.

Should I install the vinyl first?  And let the carpet guys install that after the vinyl is done?  Or should I let the carpet be installed first, then I install vinyl after that?  Anything else I should know?
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2018-07-09T15:26:17+0000  by LancerUWM LancerUWM

Hi Lanceruwm,

Talk to your carpet installers and ask how they would complete the transition between the two different materials.
They will tell you what to do and in what order. You can also discuss what type of transitions are possible.

Mike
Posted 2018-07-09T17:49:49+0000  by Mike_HD_OC

Hey LancerUWM,

Thanks for your question and welcome to the community.

Just about every professional flooring installer will tell you that a room transition strip would be required so that the adjoining floors won't fail where they meet. 

This isn't to say you can choose an extremely thin transition instead of the wider, more normally used in metal or vinyl forms. 

If you simply glue down the edges or don't place a transition, the edge of the vinyl plank flooring will not be secured via floating, and can lead to failure as well as void any warranty you'd have on it. 

You can choose a thin metal transition or matching vinyl hard surface reducer to give it a finalized look. Remember, not having a transition can lead to more issues down the road vs. if you placed one down from the start. 

Let us know if you have any further questions,

Joseph

Posted 2018-07-09T18:23:17+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+