Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

Cat scratches in wood?

My cat destroyed our wooden door frame. We rent, so this is an issue.
It is pretty messed up, which includes missing pieces of wood.
Does anyone know the best way to repair this?
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2018-01-11T06:41:34+0000  by Bradburya95 Bradburya95

Hello Bradburya95 and welcome to the Community.

I believe the simplest option is to fill the gouges with a similar color PLASTIC WOOD FILLER or WOOD PUTTY. 

This particular wood putty comes in a DARK WALNUT color that looks close to the color of your wood trim.

DAP PLASTIC WOOD Putty is an easy-to-use, non-hardening wood putty that quickly repairs holes and minor defects in interior surfaces after assembly and finishing. It is recommended for filling and hiding countersunk nail holes, gouges, scratches and miter joints. Colors can be blended for custom color matching.

Open up this link and click on the video option to the left of the photo of the product.  It is a smaller box with an arrow in it, that looks like the photo below. 

The video will demonstrate how to use wood putty.

The other option is to remove and replace the damaged piece of trim, which would be a much more involved process. 

Thanks for your inquiry.

Charlotte

Posted 2018-01-11T14:09:59+0000  by Char_HD_CHI

Greetings Bradburya95,

Looks like your cat has been very busy!

You have a couple options to tackle that door frame restoration project; you can either replace the casing on that side of the door frame or, sand and fill it, and sand again.

I would try this approach first and if it does not work well or to your liking, then go the replacement route:

Lightly sand the gouged wood with a fine grit side of the sanding sponge. Next, fill the scratches with wood filler/putty, making the filled patches as smooth as possible then allow drying. Once the filler compound is completely dry then sand the compound filled surface smooth. Finally, with a tack cloth remove all the dust and loose particles, and then brush on matching stain to cover and conceal the spots. I suggest giving that entire side of the doorway a fresh coat of stain to unify the whole piece.

Option II

The Home Depot stocks quite a few common casing to select from, (it looks from the photo that you have a common casing) if you do decide to replace it, it is a multiple step process and it will require tools, staining and time. Replacing the section would require a small pry bar, and gingerly pry that piece of the door frame off, being careful not to mess up the plaster or wallboard. Place a protect sheet of heavy cardboard at the contact point on the wall where the bar touches. You could then bring that piece of wood to The Home Depot, find the same silhouette in the mill work section of the store, and cut the new piece to size. Stop by the paint section and pick up a small can of stain that matches. Grab some finished nails in the hardware department and a nail set.

I would stain the wood first, let it dry completely, and then nail it back into place. Use the nail set, you may need some wood putty over the nails and then stain again.

I am now going to search to archives of HD Community posts to check if we have instructions on building a cat scratch post! I did not find cat scratch post in our history, but click on the link for free instructions, The Home Depot has all the components to build a post for your very energetic pal.

Good luck, Maureen  

Posted 2018-01-11T14:24:14+0000  by Maureen_HD_BOS
Thank you both!
Posted 2018-01-18T16:16:53+0000  by Bradburya95

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+