Sign In to join the community | Help
Tools & Hardware

Cedar window box mounting to brick exterior

Hi,

I have an 80" cedar window box that needs to be mounted to our brick exterior. I have read numerous reviews, suggestions, dos and don't, etc. but most of these do not specify "brick" or are for something as large as what we have. I want to make sure the potential weight is supported but I also don't want to risk ruining our brick either. What would you suggest we use to mount this? The suggestion is that there is a support bracket every 18" (so we are planning to use 5). I read mixed reviews about sleeve anchors, Tapcon screws, concrete fasteners (which are 'made for concrete and not ideal for brick as brick is not one solid piece but multiple pieces joined together with mortar', etc etc), I read to 'avoid anything that expands too much as it risks cracking the brick.' I spent a good time looking for galvanized lag shield anchors at Home Depot but only found lead.....needless to say, I want this thing supported but I also want to protect our brick exterior too. Please HELP. 

Thanks,
Tracy
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-07-25T22:01:44+0000  by tracy_lynn tracy_lynn

The quickest, easiest is Tapcons, which is why they are so popular.  They're also easily removable.  I'd use a 1/4" x 1 3/4" Tapcon which will require a 3/16" masonry bit.  Depending on how many you need Tapcon sells a package with the correct size bit included.  A hammer drill will speed things up a bit but most brick is pretty soft so an ordinary drill will work fine, just taking a little longer to drill each hole.  You want to drill the hole about 1/4" longer than the bit, or about 2" deep in your case.

The other options would be some kind of anchor (plastic or metal) and a screw.

If you need instructions on how to use Tapcons, you can download a sheet here.
Posted 2016-07-25T23:16:59+0000  by Adam444

Howdy Tracy85,

Lag shields are very strong anchors. The designated diameter of the anchor is the inside diameter of the lag screw that will be placed into it.

Hole size must be larger than the inside diameter. Example: a 3/8" diameter lag shield requires a 5/8" hole.

Masonry bits must be used to drill the holes for lag shield anchors.

Clean holes of any debris.

Place the lag shield in the hole with the closed end of the lag shield inserted first.
Fixture is then placed over the lag shield, inserting a lag screw through the fixture and into the lag screw. Use a wrench to turn the lag screw clockwise until tight.

This is a strong and secure way to attach a flower box to a wall. If you have more questions just ask.

Happy drilling,

Coach Dave

Posted 2016-07-25T23:47:05+0000  by Dave_HD_OC
Hi Dave,

Thank you so much do the feedback! I  think I feel most comfortable with a lag shield being that it seems to be he most referred for 'heavy duty' mounting. Assuming this flower box is completely full of water it would weigh about 180lbs. One of my biggest concerns is cracking the brick or somehow damaging the brick. We have a solid brick mid century home so the brick is completely structural and the last thing I want are  damaged bricks. Do you have any suggestions on the hardware? Currently, we have two 10"x10" l-brackets that we'll use on the ends of the flower box.  We have three 6"x6" l-brackets that  we'll space in between the two larger brackets for a total of 5 brackets. I was talking to someone today and he suggested using triangle brackets to equalize/further stabilize  the various forces and stress that will be placed on the brick wall. Any thoughts? 
The volume  dimensions are 80" x 8" x 8" 
The full dimensions are 82" x 11"x 10" 
Since I built it, I could always make it smaller but these are the domains recommended to look proportional to our window. 

Posted 2016-07-26T01:48:48+0000  by tracy_lynn
Actually both the shear and tension values of Tapcons exceed that of lag shields but the value for ONE of either anchor is more than the anticipated weight of your planter so you'll be just fine with whatever you use.

Using some triangular shaped brackets is a good idea given the size and weight of your planter.
Posted 2016-07-26T07:53:52+0000  by Adam444
Thanks Adam. Neither my husband or myself have used Tapcons and we find mixed reviews so your personal experience with them is very helpful (since we initially went for Tapcons but put them back). 

Thank you both! My home is not a place where I want to 'learn by mistake' so your advice is very much appreciated!
Posted 2016-07-26T14:50:58+0000  by tracy_lynn

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+