Sign In to join the community | Help
Heating & Cooling

Answered

Ceiling Fan Flush Mount

Hello,

I have an 8 foot bedroom ceiling. I removed the existing celing fan which was on a bracket with a ball type mount. Do I need to buy a flush mount ceiling fan or can I buy the one below and mount it flush as I hear most celing fans are dual mount. My previous fan was very old, wobbly and didn't have a light kit so I want to replace it with one that has the greatest chance of installing and running smoothly. Do I need a special flush mount adapter? Lastly, is the box wiring needed the same for a fan with a light and one without? Thanks for your help!

http://www.homedepot.com/Featured-Products-Cooling-Ceiling-Fans/Lighting-Fans-Fans-Ceiling-Fans-Indoor-Ceiling-Fans/Hampton-Bay/h_d1/R-202064232/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&productId=202064232&storeId=10051

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-10-13T19:31:50+0000  by mred1 mred1

Hi there mred1, and welcome to our community! I am happy to report that the fan you linked to should work great with your 8 foot ceilings, and the wiring should be no problem at all. First things first, let me cover the installation using the fan as a flush mount. In this case you will be discarding the down-rod, and instead mounting the canopy directly to the fan motor housing. Once attached to the fan motor, the entire assembly will attach directly to the mounting bracket on the ceiling with a few screws (provided). I took the liberty of selecting the flush mounting steps out of the installation manual. For your convenience here is the link to the full installation guide.

Flush Mount Ceiling Fan Installation Guide.JPG

As far as the wiring goes, you should have no problem hooking up a standard home power supply (Black, White, and Green wires) to this fan, if for some reason your wiring is not consistent with the installation manual please just let us know and we will work up a solution for you!

Ceiling Fan Wiring Brookhurst.JPG

Safety Note: Be sure to read and understand the entire instruction manual before attempting installation. Before working on any electrical circuit, shut off the circuit breaker to the circuit being worked on, mark the panel as “Being Serviced, Do Not Tamper!” and confirm that the circuit is dead by testing with a voltage detector at the box.

If you have any more questions, or need more help, please just ask! We are here to help!

I hope this helps!

-Blake

Best Answer

Posted 2011-10-13T21:20:56+0000  by BlakeTheDiyGuy

This can be flush mounted if you buy an adaptor kit. After several calls to homedepot product line where they told me it can't be flush mounted and there was no adapter kit available, I told them I was going to buy a certain Monte Carlo flush mount adapter kit and asked if it would work with the Hampton Bay Springview.

After that, all of a sudden, the do have an adapter kit I could buy and I need to buy that one to make sure it will fit my fan. It's the Minka Aire A180-BN The BN is brushed nickel. I don't know the codes for the other finished, but this will get to to the right place. Homedepot can special order that for you. I got mine elsewhere since I got tired of the run around they were giving me.

Posted 2013-06-18T19:25:11+0000  by mission007

I purchased a hampton Bay 60" langston.  i too have an 8 ft ceiling and need to flush mount it.  The. Top of the box indicates it can be flush mounted but the instructions provided do not say how.  I checked the hanger basket and it does not have the hook that allows you to hang the assembly when attaching it to the flush mount.  Im curious if anyone knows how to flush mount this model?  Do too need to cut the downrod in order to get it to fit?

Posted 2012-09-04T02:20:25+0000  by Prchske
I am sorry to inform you that this model fan can not be flush mounted.
I know if you go to your local store we can help you find a flushmount fan that will suit you just fine.
Posted 2012-01-19T19:52:53+0000  by AAriondo

I purchased a Hampton Bay 52" Springview Ceiling fan and was told "in store" that it was suitable for flush mount.  There are no such instructions available and I can't seem to figure out how on earth it'd be installed flush.  Any advice???  Thanks in advance for your help!

-Keith

Posted 2012-01-15T17:26:23+0000  by KLively

When I tried to attach the fam moter to the hanger bracket, I noticed the hanger pin and cotter pin were preventing it from fitting. Since there is no need for the pin, I removed it and the fan motor fit. Then I screwed the canopy to the hanger bracket. I assume that is ok?

Posted 2011-12-23T17:59:56+0000  by rschrader121876

I purchased the Hampton Bay Cherokee ceiling fan.  On the box it shows that flush mount is an option, but there are no instructions on how to do this.  I look at other fan's instructions, but not have similar parts.  Do I need to cut the rod like mentioned above for the Larson? 

Thanks,

Jay Dugan

Posted 2011-11-24T06:11:47+0000  by futureman

Hey Blake?

I received the celing fan but was quite surprised it didn't come with any instructions. Is this by design? Not everyone has a printer handy. Y'all may be trying to save your paper and ink but it just looked bad for Home Depot. I know you sent me flush mount instructions and links which I appreciate but don't couldn't move my desktop to easily across the house to refer to it. I sent this email response to customer service...perhaps you would not mind addressing it please? The pressing issue I have is number 2 below also shown in Figure 11 you sent. My utility box is recessed and there is a popcorn ceiling so I have to shim the fan down enough so the canopy is flush with the ceiling. I juryrigged some rubber washers but they are wobbly. Do I need a bar or something else so I can stablize this before I proceed? Don't want to have to keep taking it down when I find out it is a wobbler later.Thank you!

------------------

Downloaded it....Thanks! Just wanted to suggest that it should be included with fan though as not everyone has a printer etc. .Also, downloaded version misses a few key points for the novice regarding flush mounting fan....if I may give some input please....not trying to be critical but this would have helped...If I misinterpreted the directions please let me know as this is my first ceiling fan install. Thx.

1) Didn't see instructions to remove crossbar or nuts inside fan motor assembly otherwise it obstructs hanging fan.

2) RE: Flush Mount Install, page 5, Item 3...

Secure hangar mount to ceiling bracket.....did that but there is a 1/2" to 3/4" recessed utility box therefore need some type of spacers so canopy can be mounted flush to ceiling. How do I "space it down" enough securely so it won't wobble? I used stacked rubber washers but it is still wobbly.

3.) Same page...Figure 8 instruction is vague and misleading where it says, "Be certain that canopy is fully locked into tab.This will allow you to make electrical connections". Can't figure out how if canopy is fully locked into tab then it has to be flush to celing and can't get to wiring it seems. Hanging canopy in screw hole allows it to dangle and wires are reachable. This was confusing. Maybe you can elaborate please?

Posted 2011-10-30T19:19:47+0000  by mred1

Hey again Prophecy99, it’s great to hear from you again. That is a great question about the down rod threads. The beauty of this solution is that the threads are needed on one side of the rod which threads into the motor housing. However the connection that holds on the hangar-ball all you need is a hole for the retention pin, no threads needed!

You are right; it isn’t a terribly hard modification to do. The drilling can be made a lot easier by predrilling with a smaller drill bit as well. Just make sure you use some machining lubricant (3-IN-ONE oil would work fine for such a small job) and take care to keep your bit from overheating when drilling through steel.

Good luck with your new fan Prophecy99 let us know if we can help you with any more projects!

-Blake

Posted 2011-10-27T20:23:35+0000  by BlakeTheDiyGuy

Thanks alot for the reply... I may have to do this.. it doesnt seem that bad at all. cut it down and redrill a hole. My only question is in the picture the cutoff area it shows threads.. will that be an issue? or maybe that was a picture of a different rod.

I pretty much have filtered my shopping to -White, Energstar, With Light Kit, and Flush mount under $100 and that fan was the closest to that within in the home depot selection. 

Posted 2011-10-26T14:27:32+0000  by Prophecy99
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+