Sign In to join the community | Help
Electrical

Ceiling Fan Wiring

Just bought a new remote control ceiling fan. Old one was wall controlled. I had two wall switches. One to turn the fan on and off, the other turned the fan light on and off and was also a dimmer (push button switch on a slider). The wires coming out the ceiling are bare copper, white, black and red. The black is the constant hot, white is common, copper is ground and the red (i am guessing) is the dimmer wire for the lights. Instructions on the new fan have me hooking up the wires to the remote control receiver box  in the fan. Instructions say wire green to copper, white to white and black to black. Coming out the remote receiver are white, black and blue wires which correspond to the white, blue and black wires coming from the fan motor. Do i hook up the red from the ceiling to one of the input wires (black or white)of the remote receiver or do i hook up the red from the ceiling to one of the output wires(black or white or blue) of the remote receiver?
I am thinking the red dimmer wire from the ceiling goes to the blue wire's that make up the remote receiver output and blue wire from the fan motor.
Any ideas? Thanks!
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2018-08-27T20:37:51+0000  by philip3004 philip3004

As a broad generalization, blue wires in ceiling fans are for the lights.  I'd guess that your intuition was correct and the install went well.
Posted 2018-09-05T03:36:49+0000  by BDCarrillo

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+