Sign In to join the community | Help
Install & Replace

Ceiling Fan light will not turn off.

I have a ceiling fan light that will not shut off. It is on a remote and the battery is good for the remote. I can still turn the fan on and off. I have flipped the breaker off and left it off all nightand when I flip the breaker on the light is on. Any suggestions?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2010-12-03T20:18:16+0000  by tjasz tjasz

Hey tjasz, welcome to our Home Depot Community.

Using a circuit breaker to turn lights on and off is no fun at all!

If this is a NEW fan installation, then the wires inside the fan housing are not properly connected.  The receiver has been bypassed for the light bulb circuit, but not the fan motor, and this is likely what needs to be remedied.

If your fan light used to work and now does not, then either the light switch on the remote has worn out or the receiver inside the fan housing has a failed relay.

You could try replacing the remote.  Keep the old one so you can match the dip switch settings, (which synchronize the remote to the receiver).

If that does not work then you will have to replace the receiver.  Installing a new receiver is similar to replacing a wall outlet.  If you are not comfortable with this please have this done by an electrician.

I hope this helps.

Newf

Posted 2010-12-03T21:03:15+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+