Sign In to join the community | Help
Heating & Cooling

Ceiling Light

Im trying to install a ceiling fan but Im having a hard time taking out my ceiling light base. I took out the 2 screws but the base cant move. Does that mean its held up by the paint? Need help please!

The brown base is the one that cant come out

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-06-30T19:24:09+0000  by jason671 jason671

Good afternoon Jason,

Thanks for your question; welcome to the community!

So we're at the stage of you not only taking the glass off, but you are at the base itself with just the screws holding up the fixture?

Well there are 2 things you'll need to do to ensure the old fixture comes down once and for all:

1. Make sure the wires are completely disconnected. Hopefully, you've turned the breaker off to the fixture, so that shouldn't be much of an issue.

2. You maybe onto something with it being held up by the paint, you can get a standard utility knife and cut a line between the ceiling and the fixture, as illustrated below.

utility knife fixture

Cut a line (not too deep though) around the fixture. I've also found that using a flathead screwdriver in the holes on the fixture gives a spot where you can use the screwdriver to act as a prybar to get the stubborn base off once and for all. Make sure you are working safe with disconnected power first and this should get you squared away. 

Also, while you are up there make sure the junction box in the ceiling is rated for your new ceiling fan. It's a simple replacement but it will guarantee your fan will work its best and safe too.

Hope this helps you out,

aboveaveragejoe

Posted 2012-06-30T20:37:53+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+