Sign In to join the community | Help
Heating & Cooling

Ceiling Light Remote

I have a light fixture that does not use a light switch to operate it and I would like to have some control over when the light is on (fyi, it is track lighting). I had an electrician come out and the advised approach was to get a remote kit that works with a light only, not a fan and light combo. However, I am having a very hard time finding such a device.

Does anyone know if this exists? Also, would it be possible to use a light & fan combo remote kit and not use the fan wiring?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-09-12T01:39:19+0000  by RobertM RobertM

Hi Robert

Rob I’m somewhat confused with your question(s):smileysad:. Sorry...but is this a track lighting or this is a ceiling fan with a light kit? 

If this is a fan with the light…Than YES it is possible to wire your fan to the remote receiver that would control your fan and your lights via remote control. If this is the solution you’re most interested in… than... honestly your  best option would be to be to call the manufacturer of the unit for the recommendations and compatibility.

Serial and model number should be located on the very top of the unit …or side of the fan facing the actual ceiling.

These are some universal remotes..But i would still call the manufacturer for the recommendation.

universal.jpg

Another option is to run the extra wire to the ceiling fan and to have a double switch installed instead of single one ...Basically you would run an extra hot (switchable) wire just for the light kit and have one switch control the fan and one for the light only...

double switch.jpg

Anyways I’m sure we can help you here find the best solution for your problem.... just post back with some more info....

Hope this helps,

George

Posted 2012-09-17T15:00:20+0000  by George_HD_CHI

Hi SteelToes, the light I want to control via remote is tracklighting. And to complicate the matter further, there is no wall switch that controls the junction box the light would hook up to, hence the need for a remote to turn it on and off.

Posted 2012-09-24T14:28:49+0000  by RobertM

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+