Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Ceiling Paint -- Eggshell Sheen mistake on touch ups

I am trying to get rid of dark and bright colors in some bedrooms with one of the Behr Ultra whites.  The walls look great with only 2 coats on very dark paint with a white!.  My pain point was the part where the wall meets the ceiling with the older paint bleeding through since it's hard to get in that spot.

I went back to Home Depot and purchased the closest white I could find to match my ceiling in Behr Ultra eggshell (my walls are in eggshell) and did a white trim border around the room where the ceiling meets the wall -- looks great.

I then used this eggshell sheen to fix spots on my ceiling that had a mix of the previous paint and my current on it as a slip of the hand for a touch up.  Then at night I turn on the light and it's not attractive looking - guess I should have thought about the flat ultra or purchased the ceiling paint.

Is there a way to scuff the eggshell sheen with sandpaper (if so, which grain is best) or do I have to place flat ultra or ceiling paint over my new shiny spots on the ceiling.

Thank you!

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-05-11T01:36:22+0000  by beth00 beth00

One more thing to note - I have a swirl ceiling.

Posted 2013-05-11T01:49:54+0000  by beth00

I am sorry for your frustration:smileysad:

Unfortunately this one can only be fixed by painting over the top of the eggshell splotches with a ceiling flat (which is considered to be a dead flat).  It can be a little frustrating -  to say the least, but I suggest painting the ceiling and not worrying about getting anything on the wall.  It's a lot easier to come back and touch up the wall rather than the ceiling line.

1-Gal. Flat Interior Ceiling Paint

One more thing; The Behr ultra ceiling white is the whitest on the market and will most likely not match the existing color on your ceiling. Try the GLIDDEN ceiling white - which tends to be a little more universal.

1-Gal. Bright White Flat Ceiling Paint

Posted 2013-05-13T21:23:43+0000  by Kevin_HD_ATL

Thank you for the reply.  I was told the Behr Ultra ceiling paint only comes in a gallon for qty.  I only need a quart since it's for minor touch ups and where a light fixture in an area has changed size and left a dark mark.

Will the Behr Ultra Interior Flat wall paint do the trick as well?  I used it this morning over the eggshell and I am hoping it does the trick.  It still looks shiny, but I am not sure if it's because it's still needs to dry/cure.  Pls advise.  Thank you.

Posted 2013-05-14T01:29:48+0000  by beth00

Beth,

The regular Behr Ceiling Paint does come in quarts. It too is Ultra Pure White and dead flat.

If even a smaller amount will suffice, The Behr Flat UPW  is available in the 8 ounce sample jars.

Hope this has helped.

Posted 2013-05-14T06:26:08+0000  by ordjen

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+