Sign In to join the community | Help
Electrical

Ceiling fan quit working, light still works and motor doesn't make any noise

As the title says my ceiling fan quit working. 
Turned the fan on at night worked great in the morning it was still working, I turned it off at the wall switch as I always do when I left. Later that night I flipped the switch to turn the fan on (fan and light have their own switch at the wall), but the fan didn't come on. There was no noise or humming coming from the motor and the blades spin freely. I replaced the 3 position fan switch hoping the $4 part would be a cheap easy fix but that did not fix the problem. 
Fan was installed when house was built 14 years ago.
Any thoughts?  Or should I just get a new fan? Thanks in advance. 
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2017-09-18T01:53:30+0000  by Ibrg Ibrg

Hey Ibrg,

Thanks for your question and welcome to the community.

If you don't have a remote control unit for this ceiling fan and you accurately rewired the 3 position fan switch, then the only other culprit could be the capacitor.

That part is no longer sold at your local Home Depot, but is available online here. You can opt for replacing the exact part, which is generally located underneath the fan motor near the switch.

But ultimately, it is up to you to repair or simply replace. Make sure any wiring you do is done exactly in the same configuration as before, and it is done safely without power.

Let us know if you have any further questions,

Joseph

Posted 2017-09-18T16:33:19+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+