Sign In to join the community | Help
Heating & Cooling

Answered

Ceiling fan speed switch replacement number

Hello all.  I have a Hampton Bay ceiling fan.  The UPC is 756266630023.  I have replaced the switch that controls the speed with a Westinghouse, 77021. Now the fan only has two speeds low-low and high with no medium.  The original switch is a Zing Ear number ZE-208s6. This is a four wire switch, the wiring is L= Black, 1=gray, 2=brown and 3=purple.   

I have been unable to locate the exact switch anywhere.  I called the 800 number and Home Depot directed me to a guy, Mike who wants to charge me $25 for a replacement.   Can someone please help me with this issue? Thanks.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-05-24T20:23:56+0000  by cyndylew cyndylew

Lowes is the place.

Replacement switch for Zing Ear ZE 208S6 is SKU 33905 "Fan Switch 3-Speed 4-Wire."

$3.12 plus tax.

Done deal.

Best Answer

Posted 2013-09-15T16:04:43+0000  by dneuweiler

Hi Cyndylew, welcome to the community. Sorry to hear your having a problem with you fan switch.

I see you have tried a different fan switch that did not work. I also reached out to Westinghouse, to see if they could cross reference your switch. Sorry they did not have a cross reference chart.

I found out your fan was manufactured by a company called Crest Fan. Unfortunately they are not in business any more.

You might try and put the name of the switch company on the web and see if you can find that same switch.

Hopefully that will get you the correct information and you can get your fan up and running again the right way.

Posted 2013-06-06T18:58:21+0000  by Ken_HD_OC

Dear friend:

I've had a failure with the same switch.  So far, web sites have listed these part numbers as replacements:

- Zing Ear ZE-208S6-2

- Zing Ear ZE-268S6

- [unk. mfg.] SW30002

- Well Tec 108

Dan's Ceiling Fans

http://dansceilingfans.com/

has the SW30002 for $22 (price includes shipping).  I'm hoping I can find a better deal than that.

Posted 2013-06-06T21:10:23+0000  by JimPettis

Ken_HD_OC wrote:

I found out your fan was manufactured by a company called Crest Fan. Unfortunately they are not in business any more.

You might try and put the name of the switch company on the web and see if you can find that same switch.

Hopefully that will get you the correct information and you can get your fan up and running again the right way.

Thanks Ken. I reached out to Westinghouse. They were no help.

Posted 2013-06-06T23:36:13+0000  by cyndylew

JimPettis wrote:

Dear friend:

I've had a failure with the same switch.  So far, web sites have listed these part numbers as replacements:

- Zing Ear ZE-208S6-2

- Zing Ear ZE-268S6

Dan's Ceiling Fans

http://dansceilingfans.com/

has the SW30002 for $22 (price includes shipping).  I'm hoping I can find a better deal than that.

Thank you but, Homedepot already offered that solution.  For a few dollars more, I could buy a decent fan that provides it's customers with the correct part numbers and parts in stock. Like Hunter!!

I have discovered that the Lowes brand, Harbor Breeze switches are Zing Ear switches.  They are out of stock near at my store.  Currently waiting for Lowes, to get in  new stock!!! Hooray for Lowes!!! Grrrr, homedepot..

Posted 2013-06-06T23:43:37+0000  by cyndylew

No, Lowe's 33905 is not an exact replacement.  Iread someplace else that it would work, well......  I needed to replace the switch because the mount is broken, the switch works electrically.  I tried it and now my 3 speed fan still has 3 speeds... Hi, Low, and Ridiculously LOW.

Posted 2013-11-28T02:09:13+0000  by mclljeff
For older Hampton Bay fan, Westinghouse 3 speed switch part number 77286 single capacitor did not work.  It made no sound except on fourth chain pull when it hummed, and blades never moved.  Wired exactly like original - yellow to L, grey to 1, white to 2, black to 3.

I bought the other Westinghouse 3 speed switch part number 77288 dual capacitor, wired it in the same sequence and the fan works like new.

Abide by all electrical safety codes and procedures for success, and try to avoid repairing a $4/5 part.
Posted 2017-04-25T18:20:41+0000  by Buzz20

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+