Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Ceiling paint

I am painting the ceiling on my bedroom that has water stains.  I cleaned up with clorox, then sanded and painted it with Behr Premium Plus Ultra stain-blocking, paint and primer in one in ultra pure white color just one coat and the stain is still visible (you can see the brownish areola of the stain). What should I do to fix it?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-01-29T16:19:42+0000  by rosana rosana

Hello Rosana!

Paints labeled "stain blocking" may block minor stains like finger prints from your children's hands.

However, water stains that saturate the wallboard will require an oil-based primer to seal the stain before painting.

Try Zinsser Cover Stain.

Cover Stain will seal the water mark, dries in about one-hour, and can be painted with any topcoat (water-based ceiling paint is fine).

Posted 2013-01-29T16:27:15+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Thanks for the advise. Does it matter if I already painted the stain with one coat?

Posted 2013-01-29T18:19:04+0000  by rosana

Hello Again Rosana!

No, you can prime right over the existing paint.

The primer will dry in about one-hour and then you can apply your new coat of ceiling paint.

Unfortunately, heavy water stains are too much for almost all water-based paints or primers alone.

You simply have to prime with oil to seal those heavy water stains.

Zinsser Cover Stain is the thicker of the two I mentioned earlier ... therefore it drips less.

PERSONAL NOTE: I used Behr Ultra Ceiling Paint when I recently replaced the first floor ceiling at a property. It is without a doubt the very best coverage I've gotten from ceiling paint.

Posted 2013-01-29T18:27:16+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL
Before I bought the paint I was going to buy the Ceiling paint you mention in your personal note but I thought the one with the primer would be better for the stains and the one for ceilings doesn't have that option. Therefore, do you think I have to put 2 coats instead of one?
Posted 2013-01-29T19:07:57+0000  by rosana

Yes Rosana!

Even the most experienced painters require two coats for coverage and saturated color (even white).

Obviously, acceptable coverage is a personal choice.

And I regularly hear people say their paint covered even dark colors in two coats.

TECHNIQUE: The only technique that will even get you close to one coat coverage is simply keeping the roller cover saturated with paint; going back to the tray to reload as soon as you see the paint stream begin to narrow; overlapping about one-half inch as you add columns of paint; and putting on a coat that is almost thick enough to drip (just short of dripping). Even then, you should expect to touch up half a dozen places after the paint dries for four-hours.

FINALLY: One coat coverage is a myth. In my experience, no one is a good enough painter to create a perfect coat of paint on their first pass. The above described technique is the only way I know to even get close.

Posted 2013-01-29T19:27:37+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

I would further point out that all the water based "stain blockers" obtain their maximum stain blocking after about 24 hours of curing. Had the water spot been spot primed and then painted the next day, it probably would not have bleed through. However, most of us want to get the job done! An oil based or shellac base primer dries in less than an hour ready for painting with either oil or acrylic paint.

I do feel that Behr and HD associates could do a better job of clarifying this to potential customers

No one knows the meaning of "time is money" more than the professional painting contractor. That is why he opts for the tried and true oil or shellac primers.

Posted 2013-01-30T03:20:32+0000  by ordjen
Since we spoke last, rosana, Kilz has launched a ceiling paint with primer.

So, Community Members might also try Kilz Ceiling Paint and Primer.

The manufacturer says it will block stains.

Posted 2015-10-08T21:06:10+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+