Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

Ceiling removal

Hi, over the past few years we have been putting off these growing water stains on our kitchen ceiling that have now gotten to the point of pealing the paint.  What I am wondering is can anyone help me with the best way to remove the old ceiling without ruining the walls? 

Thanks

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-06-05T20:46:22+0000  by JAG9454 JAG9454

Hey JAG9454,

Thanks for your question and welcome to the community!

I had a similar situation when my old bedroom vent leaked onto our ceiling, luckily it didn't get so bad a state that a little bit of primer and paint didn't fix.

I am assuming that the ceilings are drywall, and if that is the case I'd first inspect how damaged the ceiling itself is before removing any drywall. To do that, you'll need to get the existing peeling paint off to get down to the bare drywall. Use a pole sander with a medium grit sandpaper attached while wearing goggles and a dust mask to get the paint off. Before starting, make sure to use drop cloths and use tape to hold it onto any areas you don't want to be covered with dust. If it is peeling very badly in some spots, you can hand scrape the items if you wish.

ceiling sanding accessories

With the drywall down to its bare spots, you can now see how bad or good the areas of drywall that needs to be replaced. Typically, you can repair a small section of drywall if need be. We carry small 2 ft. x 2 ft. sections or you can purchase a standard 4 x 8 ft. section if need be. Carefully score and pry off the bad sections of drywall with a utility knife, making sure not to damage the joists or duct work they are coming in contact with. Make the cuts as square as possible, so the new drywall pieces can fit easily. Make sure the new drywall is the same thickness as the old one.

Please use a dust mask and goggles throughout this project, as dust and debris will be coming directly down from the ceiling. 

To secure the new drywall in place, use drywall screws into the joists and seam together using drywall tape. Patch over the screw holes and seams with drywall mud or spackling compound, and use the same sandpaper to ensure the ceilings are level again. 

Then you can prime and paint the ceilings to your choice. It's also a good idea to keep the drop cloths taped down and on the sides during the whole process as much as possible so it will reduce the amount of cleanup afterwards from paint splatters and drywall dust. 

Hope this has helped you out, and please let us know if you have any further questions,

aboveaveragejoe

Posted 2012-06-11T18:22:58+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+