Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Chalk Board Paint Used To Display Restaurant Specials

Not so much a new product as a product used in many new and different ways ... Chalk Board paint by Rustoleum has become a great outlet for fun in children's bedrooms, as a way to announce family activities, and even used to post grocery lists adjacent to the refrigerator.

Recently, while dining in an Atlanta-area restaurant, I had the opportunity to see Chalk Board paint used to post the Specials of the Week.

Have a look.

chalkbrdpnt.JPG

This unique and colorful application was both eye-catching and informative ... noting upcoming artists offering "Live Music," Mother's Day specials, and the "All You Can Eat" Sunday Brunch.

Regardless of where you use this product, it offers unique opportunities to express yourself in your home, at work, or in social settings.

The product comes in traditional black (shown above) or can be mixed by your Paint Associate into one of twelve colors shown on the lid of the box.

ChlkbrdPnt.jpg

Have you seen or used Chalk Board paint in a unique situation or just for fun?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-06-09T18:38:45+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL Pat_HD_ATL

I have seen it done a couple of times in restaurants, it's pretty ingenious and I really like how easy it is to change the information around thanks to a quick coat of paint.

I actually had a customer at my store come in looking for a way to decorate a kids room. It had to be a bit different though, since she was a foster mother and re-painting/re-decorating the room each time a kid came and went from the house was too much work for her, but she still wanted the kids to have a sense that that room was their own while they were there.

After looking at a couple of options, we actually decided upon one wall of chalkboard paint and another of the whiteboard style that rustoleum also makes. She bordered the area off with moulding so that it would be clearly seperated from the rest of the wall, and the kids loved it! It turned out great and really helped give them their own space that they could draw and write whatever they wanted onto.

It's a really cool paint. I look forward to hearing some other ways it's used by people =)

Posted 2011-06-09T19:35:48+0000  by Jay_HD_CHI

I recently stumbled across a coffee table that someone had repurposed using chalkboard paint. It was pretty neat. I'd post a picture but it's linked to Facebook. I love the chalkboard paint and having three toddlers (plus a teenager) makes its usefulness nearly infinite.

We have a paint shopping checklist in our paint department that we designed with green chalkboard paint. Aside from the occasional customer who rubs against it, it's pretty useful.

Posted 2011-06-30T20:06:43+0000  by DIYGirlMN

That's a pretty cool idea for that DIYGirlMN!

Do you have any pics of the checklist to share with us? I'd love to stea....I mean share the idea with my home store = D

And welcome to the community! Great to see more associates on the board sharing their knowledge.

Posted 2011-07-01T19:27:46+0000  by Jay_HD_CHI

Hi DIYgirl!

The coffee table and the in-store idea are great uses for chalkboard paint.

You mentioned green (as opposed to black).

Many of my customers are surprised to find the box top of the tintable version shows twelve mixable colors.

The selection makes chalkboard paint to go with almost any decor.

Welcome to the community and thanks for sharing!

Posted 2011-09-08T14:49:59+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Chalkboard paint is commonly layered ... sometimes as much as three layers thick.

On your walls, three layers will be slightly raised above the surrounding wall, so unless the entire wall is chalkboard (ceiling to floor and corner to corner) you'll have to raise the surface of the surrounding wall or lower the surface of the chalkboard to prevent the raised area from showing through you next coat of paint.

If I were tasked with making the visible transition smoother, I'd use several layers of primer, tinted similar to my new color, to help level the two surfaces.

Then, I'd sand the visible transition using 220-grit sandpaper and shine a light down the wall to see when the surface is smooth.

Once smooth to your satisfaction, use the paint of your choice to topcoat.

How To

You might also consider using wall trim to create a "picture frame" around your chalk board.

Posted 2015-02-12T15:26:31+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+