Sign In to join the community | Help
Heating & Cooling

Chandelier light socket replacement

One of the sockets of my chandelier slightly caught fire.  Can the socket be replaced and if so how.  Or does the entire chandelier need to be replaced.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-01-07T13:58:30+0000  by EK EK

Good morning, EK, the Hammer here with a little help for your fiery problem. In addition to working at Home Depot, I am a blacksmith, and I have made dozens of chandeliers and do all of my own wiring with no catastrophes to speak of.

Since electrical work can be very dangerous and easy to mix up, I would recommend that you consult with a local licensed electrician before taking on this project if you are not trained in this area.

The socket can be replaced with minimal effort because it just screws to the fixture and there are only a couple of ways that is accomplished and varies by manufacturer.

The issue you have is the "fire" which is probably caused by a loose wire rubbing against the metal which is going to short out the socket, leading to your problem.

The first thing you do,after turning off the breaker, is remove the socket and look at the wires leading to it. The connection should be tight and the wires not frayed. My guess is that one or both of these is the case so you'll need to remedy that, meaning the "hot" wire is touching the metal, or it is touching the "ground" wire. Make sure to take the socket in to your local Home Depot to get the correctly rated replacement and I'll include a link here on how to test a socket for your edification. It shows a standard light socket, but the principle is the same.

One more thing to look at is the rated watts on you lights... if you put a bulb in with too high wattage, you'll be doing damage to the socket from the heat coming of the bulb.

Click the links below and see if your answer can be found there. Also, keep us informed about the results... we always like to know if we've helped.

Ray the Hammer

http://bit.ly/elecHTC

http://bit.ly/eorHxI

Posted 2011-01-07T14:52:23+0000  by TheHammer

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+