Sign In to join the community | Help
Install & Replace

Changing a Light Switch from 3 switches to 2

My bathroom has a set of 3 switches on one panel. There is one vertical switch that controls the lights over the sink and then 2 horizontal switches, one for the ceiling light and one for the ceiling exhaust fan (these are combined in one unit). At some point, my husband wired these incorrectly so that both of the horizontal switches turn on the ceiling light & fan simultaneously. I want to know if we can reduce the number of switches now at this panel to just have 2 vertical switches: one controlling the light above the sink as it is now and the other to turn on the ceiling light & fan simultaneously. I don't want to leave the celing light & fan on separate switches. Can we cap off the wires somehow that we no longer want running to a switch? Should we not try this ourselves? Obviously, we are super novies considering it was wired wrong in the first place. :) I have a photo of this panel of switches but don't see where I can upload it. Thanks!!

Lori

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-01-24T18:06:33+0000  by lanestar7 lanestar7

in my experience if you are not 100% totally sure and confident in your abilities electricity is not something to mess with.  I would recommend either hiring an electrician or find a friend that knows electrical.

Posted 2013-01-27T19:51:49+0000  by joshcameron

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+