Sign In to join the community | Help
Doors & Windows

Changing out the bottom part of a handleset.

I have a new Kwikset electronic single action deadbolt to replace the regular keyed deadbolt for my front door. I now would like to replace the actual handleset piece to match it. The one that is on there now has a screw at the bottom that holds the handle on, but does not go all the way through the door. How to I find a replacement that will also have that type of installation? How do I measure? 

I thought these are all standard, but I am finding the are not. The deadbolt pieces are pretty standard, but the actual handle part of the set is quite different. 

This is original to the house - 16 years. I believe it is a Schlage.

Thank you for your direction.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2015-03-15T14:58:42+0000  by heiferyung heiferyung
Hi heiferyung,

Since the bottom portion of the lock set does not contain a locking cylinder, you may purchase almost any handle set to go with your dead bolt.

As you have discovered not all of the handle sets are the same dimensions. The simplest method is to remove the handle set and take it to your local Home Depot, where you can use it as a guide in selecting a replacement.

This way you can match up the mounting points to assure it will fit properly prior to purchasing it. In most cases the new handle set will cover any existing mounting holes.

The mounting holes in the door, for the latch are universal at 2 1/8 inches, so only the length will be a factor in selecting a new handle set.


Posted 2015-03-16T17:48:06+0000  by Mike_HD_OC
If you happen to find a lockset that you like but the screw hole doesn't match up, it is possible to repair the door.  You can just fill the hole with Bondo and carefully "grain" it with a sharp knife or razor blade.  After a couple of coats of paint, nobody will notice.

Another option is Baldwin Brass sells "screw covers" in two designs and over a dozen finishes.  While not the perfect solution, it does work.  As I recall they're about 1" in diameter.
Posted 2015-03-17T00:41:59+0000  by Adam444
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question