Sign In to join the community | Help
Flooring

Cherry Wood Floor scratches

Are there easy fixes for spot fixing scratches on cherry wood floor? I have about 5 areas ranging from 3-4 sq inches to 9-10 sq inches. Do i need to refinish the entire floor or is there something that i can do as a spot fix that will improve the look--it does not need to be 100% better ... just better...

thanks!
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-05-11T00:14:28+0000  by jasper2016 jasper2016

Hi jasper2016,

Spot repair of stained wood on walking surfaces is fairly common.

The quality of appearance depends upon the stain touching the wood so it can absorb evenly and carry the cherry color into the wood.

In an effort to promote absorption, you'll want to lightly sand the area with 220-grit sandpaper.

Some repairs are better with a perimeter established with painter's tape.

Others may not have a perfect edge and may only require sanding around the irregular edge of the damage.

You'll have to make a judgment call about which is appropriate in your situation.

Your goal, before applying stain, should be to ensure the interior and edge of the damage is exposed wood.

Once satisfied with your prep, wipe off the sanding dust with a dry terry towel and a shop vac.

Test a small spot to ensure your selected stain will create a matching color.

Wiping off small sections of this sample at different times (3-, 6-, and 9-minutes) will allow you to establish an exact timeline for the entire repair.

This should get you as close as possible to the original color.

Lightly sand the test area and proceed by applying and removing stain to each spot using the same technique on each.

After you wipe off the stain and are satisfied with the color, allow the areas to dry overnight.

Match the clear coat sheen (Satin, Semi-Gloss, or Gloss) with polyurethane and coat the repair areas out to the edge of the repair.

Typically, floor poly requires six-hours per coat to dry.

You'll also want to buff sand with 220-grit sandpaper between coats to ensure the second coat "mechanically bonds" to the first.

Without sanding, layers of poly can separate and create air bubbles between layers.

Hope this helps,

Pat InPaint
Posted 2016-05-11T19:40:28+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+