Sign In to join the community | Help
Bath & Faucets

Choosing a toilet: Need 11-inch clearance from the wall

We posted a video demonstrating basic toilet repairs on the Apron blog. This prompted a question about choosing a toilet to install from reader Collette:

"It appears standard toilets are 12 inches from the opening to the wall. We have11 inches only. Is there an 11 inch model that we could consider. The toilet we presently have also curves inward which allows space for the baseboard. The new toilets do not seem to curve inward like that. Your help and suggestions will be appreciated. Thank you."

Do you have some toilet models to recommend? Any other advice about choosing the right toilet?

Thanks!

-Craig, from the Apron blog

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-09-07T14:31:36+0000  by HomeDepotCraig HomeDepotCraig

Hey Craig.

Yes indeed the standard "rough in size" for toilets is 12".

Rough in is measured from the center of the drain to the wall behind the toilet.

In most cases, you can measure the distance between the wall and the toilet hold down bolts, as these bolts are usually located at the drain center.  Looking at the bowl casting you can see whether this is the case.  This way you do not have to remove the toilet to get the rough in size.

Toilets are also made which are designed for 10" and 14" rough ins.

Because of their relative rarity, these will likely have to be special ordered through a Home Depot store, or purchased online at homedepot.com.  While I have never seen an 11" rough in size, there are about 50 toilet models on homedepot.com which have a 10" rough in.  A 10" rough in size toilet should fit just fine, and will extend from the wall 1" more than designed.

I would suggest that Collette please measure the toilet rough in again based on the drain center.  Since there is no 11" size to my knowledge, it may just be that Collette has a 12" standard rough in toilet but measured 11" from the back of the drain to the wall, or from the center of the drain to the baseboard.  Do not measure to the baseboard molding, but to the wall.  This is because the tank usually extends the farthest back of any part of the toilet, and it is nowhere near the baseboard.

I hope this helps,

Newf.

Posted 2012-09-07T15:57:40+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+