Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

Cinder Blocks

I am building a small house that is less that 500 square foot. I am wondering how many cinder blocks I will need to order. I do not want to place my house directly on a concrete slab so we will be giving it a solid base with cinder blocks. 
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2017-10-23T17:13:37+0000  by LCMULLI LCMULLI

Hi LCMULLI,

Cinder blocks placed on the ground will be a much less stable foundation than a concrete slab, as they can shift and sink into the soil. Before starting this project you need contact your local building department to determine what the code requirements are for a project like this and what building permits are required.

As with any project, a plan is needed to determine the safety and suitability of the structure, once the plan is submitted to your cities building department and approved then a materials list can be created and the project can proceed.

Mike
Posted 2017-10-23T19:50:16+0000  by Mike_HD_OC

Hello LCMULLI and welcome to the Community.

Mike gave you sound advise and you definitely should contact your local building department. Also cinderblocks need to be installed on to a stable footing.

Without knowing the particulars about the dimensions of your walls, I can not give you an exact quantity.  I can tell you that the surface of an 8" x 16" cinderblock is .89 sq. ft.  If you calculate the sizes of your combined walls then divide by .89 you will find how many blocks you will need.

For example let say you have a room that is 20' by 25' by 8' high.  That would be 20+20+25+25 times 8' = 720 sq. ft. of walls.  You would divide 720 by .89 = 809 blocks.  You should probably add at least 5% more  for cutting which is a total of 849 blocks.  Any extras you can return to the store.

Thank you for your inquiry.

Charlotte

Posted 2017-10-24T16:48:57+0000  by Char_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+