Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

Cinder block wall repain

Hi:

The mortar in my load bearing basement cinderblock wall is disintegrating. The house was built in 1908 but the basement and cinderblock walls were probably added in the mid 1970's. The mortar easily turns to a sandy powder with a few chunks with just scrapping it. I don't even have to use a hammer or chisel. I started cleaning out some of the joints but the problem is that ALL of the mortar comes out.

It seems like it would be hard to replace the mortar back into the cracks with no backing. It would just fall into the interior voids. I also don't have access to the other side of the wall.

Luckily there has been no movement or cracks in the wall. There is no bowing of the wall. It is still straight and seems to be doing its job.

Thus is there any way to replace the mortar while still maintaining structural integrity?
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2017-09-09T20:11:55+0000  by dsds dsds

Hey dsds.

Having worked at The Home Depot now for 20 years, I have done many DIY projects around my home and have helped thousands of customers work on their DIY projects as well. With that said, there are some projects that often require a professional. When it comes to foundations and load bearing walls, even the experts have to bring in structural engineers to come up with the best solutions for problems like yours. I would recommend going with a professional when it comes to strengthening the foundation of your home.

Posted 2017-09-10T11:28:18+0000  by Ingar_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+