Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

Cinnamon (Cinnamomum zeylanicum) best soil/potting mix

Hello

I was wondering what is the best soil/potting mix available in Home Depot that suits this type of tree.

As I understand Cinnamon tree needs a well drained soil with slightly acidic mix.

Any other advice on additional caring material is appreciated.
Thank you.
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2018-07-26T14:42:25+0000  by ralphv ralphv

Hi ralphv.

You have the right formula for planting your cinnamon tree.  You can use the Palm & Cactus mix for pots along with peat moss to give you that acidic mix. Use a 50/50 mix of each to give you a healthy mix.

https://www.homedepot.com/s/cactus%2520mix?NCNI-5

The biggest enemy to a cinnamon tree is over watering. Wait until the top inch or 2 of soil is dry before watering your tree.  The Cinnamomum zeylanicum tree thrives in USDA zones 9-11 and can survive frosts down to 32 degrees F. otherwise, the tree will need protection.

Your cinnamon tree prefers a warm but well drained soil.  Be sure to keep your potted cinnamon tree pruned to about 3-8 feet so that it does not become root bound in the pot.  Regular fertilization is necessary but do be excessive because too much fertilizing can lead to root disease just like over watering.

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Rick_HD_OC

Posted 2018-07-27T16:49:09+0000  by Rick_HD_OC
Thanks for the info.

It also looks like I can use the same mix for african violets.
Do you have any feedback on this?

Thank you again.
Posted 2018-07-30T16:16:12+0000  by ralphv

Hi ralphv.

Yes, the African Violet Mix will also work well for your application.  There is a new package at this time and it is called "Miracle-Gro Indoor Potting Mix".

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Rick_HD_OC
Posted 2018-07-31T18:27:02+0000  by Rick_HD_OC
Thanks for the answers, grabbed three of those yesterday and this potting mix is great. It can be used to bring the tree indoors (which will be needed in winter time) and is also slightly acidic as needed.

Can you tell me what would be a good fertilizer for a cinnamon tree? (Including the three numbers that fertilizers have to indicate the values of the nurtients)

Thank you.
Posted 2018-08-03T15:13:25+0000  by ralphv

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+