Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

Answered

Classes on how to be your own General Contractor

Hey all,

Affter getting some bids for my home addition I have decided to tackle the GC job myself. Can anyone point me in the direction of any online step by steps or sourses on the best way to go about it? I have a construction and successful DIY background. Just want to make sure that what I think is correct on scheduling, bidding, and legal stuff is actually correct. I already have a finished set of architect drawn permit drawings including survey, structural and have purchased the building permits.  

I have a good idea on how to do it I would just like to see if there is anything I have overlooked. Thanks in advance.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-09-06T18:34:45+0000  by johnnyexo johnnyexo

Hey there,

Well it sounds like you're on the right track. Having said you already pulled building permits I’m assuming you got yourself registered as a GC with the state already? Or you got the permits pulled as a homeowner?

That's one of the things I was going to point out to you ... I’m not sure what the regulations are for your state, but typically for the project of that scope they would require that contractor managing/performing the work be licensed with state. Also as a GC you would need to be fully insured and bonded as well. Your homeowners insurance is not going to cover workers comp and construction related claims. 

You will need to get yourself familiar with number of forms...; 

1. Construction Contract - Cost Plus or Fixed Fee
2. A Construction Project Information Sheet
3. A Change Order Sheet
4. A Certificate of Completion
5. A Weekly Equipment Summary
6. A Time and Material Log
7. A Bid Log
8. A Bid Follow Up Letter
9. A Summary of Estimate
10. A Schedule Sheet
11. A Job Progress Sheet
12. A Final Project Punch List
13. A Worker Safety and Health Plan
14. An Accident Report Form

These are state specific forms; you can obtain one that is specific to your state from this website;

http://www.uslegalforms.com/formspackages/contractors-forms-package.htm

You will also need subcontractor’s tax forms;

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-regs/subcontractorsfaq%26a.prn.pdf

As far as the courses go …

Look into some literature and seminars from RSMeans;

superv.JPG

datac.JPG

Here's the seminar registration page...

rcd seminars.JPG

We also have our Home Depot Estimator that might be helpful to you with this project.  

In Home Depot Estimator  you can enter costs for the specific part(s) of the project you’re intend on working on and at the same time access/enter up to date materials sold at the Home Depot. Basically you can print out a proposal sheet to yourself using sub’s labor and our material pricing …At the end, if you wish, you can e-mail material list to Home Depot and have it ready on the “will call “ at your local store…

This can save you about 2300 trips you would normally make to the store…give or take :smileylol:

estimator.JPG

Hope this helps and good luck with your addition..

George

Best Answer

Posted 2012-09-10T18:47:49+0000  by George_HD_CHI
The other thing you need to consider in being your own GC is the time involved. It is a FULL TIME JOB. If you don't work from home or work close and have a very flexible schedule, you will not be available to give the timely answers that many trades will require to complete the job. That leads to redos and time delays, both of which add to your cost.

The other thing you need to be sure of before you begin the project is to be sure you have spec'd it out properly in the bid documents. Avoid allowances at all costs as those are the unknown costs that sink your budget. You should have at least 90% of the products you are going to use finalized before you ever seek proposals from the trades. Otherwise, you are not able to get accurate competitive bids, and again, your budget is what will take the hit.
Posted 2012-09-13T13:05:18+0000  by msrose

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+