Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Clawfoot tub refinishing

Hi community!

I have a beautiful old claw foot tub that needs a little love on the interior. I've seen the Rustoleum tub and tile refinishing kit, but am not sure if I could handle the project. Is it something I could do on my own? Is it very difficult to do?

Thanks,

Catherine

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-01-18T18:55:05+0000  by cwoodling cwoodling

Welcome back Catherine!

There are several products available to refinish your Clawfoot tub.

The specific one you mentioned, Rustoleum Tub & Tile Refinishing Kit is one option. It is a true, two-part epoxy which means you mix Part-A and Part-B together (both in the box) after preparing the surface with 400 - 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper and removing the sanding dust. It would be a common practice to use plastic and tape to create a finished edge and cover fixtures. The combined epoxy can be rolled, brushed, or sprayed. A second coat can be applied after one hour and the tub put back into use after three days. I have not used this product, but Epoxy finishes are very durable. They commonly emit a strong odor as the chemical reaction of the two parts causes the surface to dry.

RustoTubTile.jpg

Another product for your project is Homax Tub, Tile & Sink Refinishing Kit. This kit contains two spray cans of one-part epoxy. Also included are: nitrile gloves, a pouch of TSP (trisodium phosphate), and steel wool. Like the previous description, plastic and tape are commonly used to create a finished edge and cover fixtures. The TSP and steel wool are used to prepare the surface and the residue is rinsed off and allowed to dry completely. After taping, the first coat is sprayed and then you MUST pay attention, because the instructions say to apply the second coat within 30-minutes or to wait 72-hours. Like most sprayed materials, there is an odor that goes along with the applications, so be prepared to leave the area between coats and after the second coat is applied. Follow dry time instructions before returning the tub to regular use.

Homax Tub and Sink.jpg 

I have used the Homax kit (primarily because it was more readily available), but not the Rustoleum product (which is a more recent addition to this line of products). The one-part finish is durable and my application has lasted three years.

Here are your points of difference to consider:

The products are similar in preparation and application with the spray-on product being a slight bit easier to apply. I have used numerous two-part products and in my experience most two-part finishes last a bit longer than their one-part counterparts. Price is comparable.

This is most definitely a DIY project, with the choice-point being simplicity versus long-term durability.

Others in the Community may have views on this process as well.

NOTE: In some markets, Homax offers a roll-on version.

Posted 2011-01-18T19:58:14+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

If you dont live in California (with its Draconian restrictions on paint products) HD used to sell an ICI product called Klenks 2 part epoxy for tubs. (It may still be available in your area) 

It worked great. Just follow the instructions to the letter.

The advantage of this product is that it can be rolled on with a sponge foam roller and deliver god results.

In addition it is a 2 part epoxy, far superior to the 1 part Homax product deployed by HD to comply with VOC restrictions.

Good Luck.

Posted 2011-03-21T19:12:28+0000  by paintguy606
Thanks for the recommendation paintguy606!

Always good to learn about products that work!

Two-part epoxy products tend to be the most durable over time.
Posted 2015-03-10T10:24:54+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+