Sign In to join the community | Help
Flooring

Closet subfloor

I have an existing closet, enclosed under a stairway.  Current constructions is 1" tongue and groove planks over the floor joists (entire log cabin floor is constructed this way).  The closet is enclosed with drywall, taped and primed. I removed carpet and carpet padding inside the closet, which was stapled/edge tack strips, to the planks.

To refurbish, I intend to install vinyl flooring, instead of carpeting.  The closet is not heated, so overtime some moisture and mildew collects on the walls/flooring.  Will finish the sheetrock with mildew resistant primer and semi-gloss paint, which is also mildew resistant. Will probably install a vent or two in the door to allow air circulation.  Also, moisture "dessicator" seems to control the moisture collection over time.

I am thinking of installing 3/4" plywood, sanded on the top side, and screw it in place into the planks.  Cut the drywall bottoms so that they do not touch the subfloor.  Fill the screw holes/sand smooth, and then glue vinyl, and then some molding around the edges.

My question is what is an appropriate/best subfloor to install?

Also, any other advice for this project.  
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2018-04-22T01:41:49+0000  by Tom53 Tom53

Greetings Tom53,

It sounds like you have this closet rehab under control, great job!

I would recommend a green board subfloor. Green board, Fiberock ,is used in areas that have a moisture problem, or in a space that is in constant contact with water, such as under the tile on walls and floors in bathrooms and kitchens. Although the closet will not have direct contact with water, the moisture build up that you are worried about will be less problematic if green board is used.

Many times mildew and mold will start to grow on adhesives or glues that have wheat base, so make sure to read the composition of your adhesion agents. Would you consider just dry fitting the base molding, if the cuts are precise enough they will stay put without gluing them in place, allowing air to move through, just a thought.

I would also like to recommend placing a container of “DampRid” in your newly refurbished closet. "DampRid' is a great product that absorbs moisture within a confined area really well. The moisture collects at the bottom of the container, you will be amazed at just how much water is absorbed and collected, that will also be an indication of just how much moisture accumulates in the closet.

I have never been in a real log cabin, I imagine it is an amazing place to liveJ Log cabins are an organic structure so all the elements that go with a dwelling like yours must be challenging but so rewarding in the grand picture of life and living.

I have set up the link to the green board for you to read a bit more about it; I hope this helps! Fiberock has a great video too.

All the best, Maureen

Posted 2018-04-25T15:14:53+0000  by Maureen_HD_BOS

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+