Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

Clover in my lawn.

I have a typical Bermuda lawn. A couple of years ago I noticed some clover growing. Every year it has taken over a larger area. I've tried weed and feed type products and that got rid of the other weeds but the clover is thriving! It has tiny little yellow flowers. How do I get rid of it without killing my lawn?
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-06-21T04:49:12+0000  by Azgma Azgma

Hi Azgma,

Timing is important when treating seasonal weeds. Clover is not always actively growing in the lawn and can only be controlled when it is. 

2,4-D is the active ingredient in most broadleaved weed killers. When applied according to instructions, it is safe for your lawn. BayerAdvanced Lawn Weed Killer, Spectracide Weed Stop, and Ortho Weed-B-Gon are excellent products available from The Home Depot.

Bayer Advanced All-in-One Lawn Weed and Crabgrass Killer 32oz Ready to SpraySpectracide Weed Stop 32 oz. Ready-to-Spray Concentrate for Lawns Plus Crabgrass KillerOrtho Weed-B-Gon Max 32 oz. Ready-To-Spray Plus Crabgrass Control

The Weed and Feed that you used also contained 2,4-D, but in dry form which is difficult to deliver to the plant since the chemical needs to enter through the leaf of the weed to kill the weed. Liquids are much more effective in one application.

Apply the spray while the temperatures will remain below 85 degrees and when no rain is expected within 48 hours.

Thanks for the question and welcome to The Community!!!

Travis

Posted 2013-06-21T12:31:00+0000  by Travis_HD_ATL
Thanks Travis! Since I live in Phoenix I guess I can't do anything until October if I can't use the product you suggested over 85 degrees! The Weed and Feed product I used was in spray on form. Sorry I can't remember what it was called.
Posted 2013-06-21T13:55:16+0000  by Azgma

When temperatures get hot, the plants tend to slow their metabolism and the herbicides stop working. 

The mean temperature is really what I'm concerned with, so your cool nights might help these products work better.

Your local weed fighting experts will have much better advice for your area. Check with the Certified Nursery Consultant at your local Home Depot, or call your extension service in your area.

Clover grows in the cool of spring and again in fall. Those times are your best opportunities to successfully kill it.

Travis

Posted 2013-06-21T14:03:31+0000  by Travis_HD_ATL
Somehow I don't think this is the same kind of clover. The temps are well over 100 degrees right now and it's thriving! I will get in touch with my local extension service and find out what they think. Thanks!
Posted 2013-06-22T01:54:32+0000  by Azgma

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+