Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Coasters peeled the finish off our coffee table. Any way to fix just the spot itself?

We recently moved into a new house and purchased a matching coffee, end and side table set. Unfortunately this weekend I realized that the coasters we've been using - they are college-themed with a mascot on one side and plastic backing on the other - were sticking to our side table. I'm not sure if they melted, had liquid caught under them or what, but the result wasn't pretty.

As I pulled back one of the coasters, I realized it had taken the entire finish of our side table along with it in a college mascot shape. There was also a sticky residue that I attempted to remove, but this only seemed to take off more of the finish so I stopped. I pulled off a second coaster and although it left the finish in tact (for now), that same sticky residue is there and I'm sure that if I tried to remove it, there would be a matching college mascot-shaped spot.

Since this table is part of a set, I really don't want to have to refinish the whole top, which is why I thought I'd ask the experts for their advice! Is there any way to fix just the spot itself or at least make it hidden enough that you can't see it unless you're really looking?

I've included a picture of the spot where the entire finished was removed, as well as a picture of the spot with the sticky residue.

Thanks in advance for your help!

coffee table spot.JPG

sticky spot.JPG

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-05-20T15:54:04+0000  by jennkrenn jennkrenn

There may be a way to "spot" fix the table..The major problem you will encounter is matching the exact color of the stain. Also, the surrounding unaffected area may appear outlined around the spot (noticeable).

Below are examples of stain colors from Verathane.  You may have to bring in the table to your Home Depot to better match the color.

stain.PNG

1. Lightly sand the whole surface of the table.
  2. "Spot" stain the exposed area.
  3. Apply a coat of polyurethane.
  4. Lightly sand and apply one more coat of poly.

Half Pint Semi-Gloss Amber Polyurethane

Posted 2013-05-20T19:53:49+0000  by Kevin_HD_ATL

Thanks for your help - I really appreciate it! We were able to spot fix it and although we can still tell it's there, anyone who didn't know it was damaged would likely never see it. :)

Posted 2013-05-29T19:02:40+0000  by jennkrenn

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+