Sign In to join the community | Help
Project Ideas: Indoor Decor

Coffee table redo with wallpaper

Hi, 

I would like some ideas of products that we will need to restore a wooden table top that has become brittle and is chipping, making it dangerous for small children. We would like to sand it down, use wallpaper (paintable?) and give it a final gloss. Can you please advice on what products we may need? Also, any ideas on how to go about it. We live in an apt in NYC and have a balcony where we can do the work now that it should be getting warmer. 

thanks!
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2015-04-10T17:49:40+0000  by Mirna Mirna

Hello Mirna.  Welcome to the Community!

Sanding the top is a good start.  Since you don't need to restore any wood grain, I would sand the top smooth with 80 or 100 grit paper.  At this point you can use wood filler to fill in the chips, sand smooth again and then follow with a final sanding using a finer grit paper like 180 or 200 grit.

I would not recommend using a wallpaper cover.  Would it make sense to simply apply a colored polyurethane finish?  This should seal in the surface well and prevent further chipping.  A simple to use product would be something like PolyShades, which adds color as you apply the durable finish coats.  Lightly hand sand after each coat has dried to ensure a bubble free, smooth surface.

You can find the above product here:  PolyShades

Another option would be to simply prime and paint the table top once it has been repaired and sanded.
I highly recommend using an oil based paint for this, even though dry time and cleanup are not as convenient as using latex paints.

At homedepot.com there are a number of Project Guides that can help you see the processes involved.
You can find them here:  Project Guides

Chris.

Posted 2015-04-14T19:21:15+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI
Hi Mirna,

Really love your idea ... refinishing coffee table with wallpaper.

Here are several steps that should lead to success:

1) Remove any splintering wood and sand smooth with 150-grit sandpaper;

2) Prime with Zinsser 123, a water-based primer commonly used beneath wallpaper;

3) If additional smoothing is required, sand and prime again;

4) Wet wallpaper and gently smooth before trimming the edges flush with the edge of the table top;

5) Allow to dry for 48-hours; and

CAUTION:
Since the adhesive on your wallpaper is water-based, apply too heavy a coat may re-wet the adhesive and create bubbles.

So several very thin coats will help you protect the wallpaper without damaging the surface.

AN ALTERNATIVE:
Parks Super Glaze is a two-part epoxy clear coat in which you commonly see coins, cards, and other items embedded on bar tops or table tops.

This coating is very thick and very durable ... making it a great alternative to water-based clear coats. 
Posted 2015-08-18T21:44:25+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+