Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

College Project

Hello All. I was thinking the other day, remembering the VERY uncomfortable bed frame that I have at college, the problem was, I had to keep the frame in the room, so even when I put up my loft the frame would be there, taking up room, making the place look, well, bad. Now that it is summer and I can do some building. What I was thinking was a bed that was close to the ground (not feeling loft for the semester) that had an enclosure below the mattress to hide away the bed frame, kind of like a plateau bed, but closed all the way around. It would have to be at least 10" above the ground, and 7' long, 3' wide. 

Now that the specs are out there I can say that, if that was all I needed I could already have it done lol. What I am looking for is that bed that can be disassembled and reassembled easily (modular would be best) so that it will fit in my Saturn.

If anyone can help me out with this it would be awesome. If not... Then I guess I will have to sit down and draw out some plans myself lol 

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-06-18T04:15:13+0000  by Burbink_4 Burbink_4

Hi Burbink_4, welcome to the community. We've been getting a lot of questions regarding beds lately, and I think I dream about building them in my sleep now :robottongue:. 

I was thinking about your dorm room dilemma and had an idea I think may help. The idea is to build an enclosed frame with a channel cut out to accommodate storing the old frame. I've attached an image of what I'm thinking about idea wise. 

frame.jpg

The construction is all 3/4" plywood. The yellow side sections are actually two separate lengths of board held together with mending plates and screws. This will allow you to separate them for transport. For keeping the structure together I suggest using corner braces with either screws or bolts.

This idea works on the idea that the frame is a traditional metal one that folds into two linear rails. I hope some bit of this is helpful and get back to us if it's not exactly what works for you and we'll be happy to help.

Cheers,

ChrisFixit

Posted 2011-06-19T17:56:46+0000  by Chris_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+