Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Color matching stucco

Hello my name is Chris an I am a paint associate for Home Depot, I have only been here a few months an have quite a bit of difficulty color matching a stucco sample. It always seems to come out to dark, do you have any info on how I can achieve a little better match to make our customers more satisfied. Thank you
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-01-14T18:00:17+0000  by ChrisHd ChrisHd

Hi ChrisHD,

Absolutely, we've got your answer.

If you look at a cross-section of stucco, you'll notice that there is a "hard coat" base beneath the stucco.

This base is usually dark gray or black.

Our color matching equipment shines intense light onto your sample and it actually reads the dark hard coat along with the stucco color.

This creates a color match that is the average of the two colors ... almost always darker than the stucco color.

When I scan hard coated stucco, I "Scale" the resulting formula and reduce the tint by sixty-five percent.

When you mix the paint, you'll find that the color is lighter than the stucco.

I then increase the tint three-to-five percent at a time and re-shake.

Most often, I'll reach an exact match somewhere between forty- and fifty-percent.

NOTE:

Explain to your customer that the match will take a bit longer than normal.

All of my customers appreciate the exact match and are willing to wait for the best results.

FINALLY:
New spectrometers have been installed in most, if not all, stores.

We have had a tendency toward darker matches with this new tool.

So, if everyday color matches turn out slightly too dark, use this same method and scale the initial paint match about ten-percent lighter.

Then adjust your paint colors darker until they match exactly.

Pat InPaint
Posted 2016-01-14T18:18:55+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL
Thanks a lot I've had some experience in another retailer but not with the Home Depot system, just trying to give our customers 100% thanks for taking the time to answer one day I'll be a pro 
Posted 2016-01-14T22:30:05+0000  by ChrisHd
You're very welcome ChrisHD!

You're already a Pro ... simply asking to confirm the correct process makes you one.

My favorite line when asked a question that I couldn't answer was, "I'm not certain, but let's read the label and find out together."

Today, The Home Depot and my customers respect me as their paint expert because I've taken time to learn the labels and recommended application process of every product we sell.

Keeping up with new products is also an important part of being an expert.

Start with your next customer and before long, you'll know more about D24-The Paint Pit than any of your peers ... then you'll be the paint expert!

Pat InPaint

BTW:
Earlier, I described a perfect percentage adjustment ... which will get you started.

Once my adjustments get close to matching, I often stop adding the darkest tint to prevent building a color that goes past the desired saturation ... making my final adjustments with the lighter tints.

Experiment with tint colors and volumes when you change the color of Oops Paints.

Often the tints and volumes already on the formula label will be your key to building perfect colors.
Posted 2016-01-15T00:09:56+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL
I love the matching process but we are having a hard time getting a sample from the stucco buckibabe
Posted 2017-08-30T15:45:21+0000  by buckibabe

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+