Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

Comic book wall mural?

Hi i just recently bought a house and in the office id like to use comic book covers as wallpaper on one wall. The only thing is that the wall already has wallpaper on it. What would be the easiest way to make this idea happen? Any suggestions would be helpful thank you
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-08-10T21:23:11+0000  by kmcwilliams90 kmcwilliams90

Hey kmcwilliams90,

Thanks for your question and welcome to the community!

And congrats on your new house, it sounds like you are quite the panelologist! I'm a X Men fan myself, especially the Weapon X series on Wolverine.

The key to making this wall mural successful is making sure your existing wallpaper is in good shape (you don't have to take it down), the comic book covers are in good shape, and the materials you use will successfully stick to the wall.

In terms of the existing wallpaper, check all areas of the wall to ensure there are no rips or gouges in the paper. If there are, they will need to filled and any loose edges of wallpaper can be removed via knife or glued down again.

As long as the wall is covered with a high-quality shellac or oil-based primer, any comic book cover can easily be applied over it. The key is the primer, the shellac or oil-based type will give you a nice flat finish. Any water-based primers can and most likely will go through the paper, leading to bubbling and reactivating the wallpaper paste behind it. Here are some primers we sell that I recommend using below:

Zinsser Shellac and Oil Based Primers

Since these aren't water-based, you'll need to make sure you'll have good ventilation when working with them. Be sure to clean up with denatured alcohol with the shellac or mineral spirits for the oil based primer. After waiting an hour for the wall to finishing drying, you are onto your next step.

Threes various products out there than can successfully adhere your comic book covers to the wall permanently. Some we don't carry in the store, like Mod Podge, but others by 3M, we do carry. I've used both in various art projects, and it will depend on your comfort and skill set with either product, but both work great. Make sure you plan first how and in which manner the covers will be placed. This can make actual placement easier when you get started. Experimentation on a corner of the wall to make sure everything goes smoothly.

The one item we carry  by 3M that works well for what you want to do. It is called General Purpose 45 Spray Adhesive. Since it is a spray, I would recommend to make a work space where you aren't over-spraying or putting the spray on things that you don't need. I'd recommend using this in a well-ventilated space and using a dust/breathing mask will make your lungs happy. Using a workstation for this in the same or next room will need to be done in a way so you can easily transfer the cover on the wall easily after spraying (you only have a few minutes to set the cover). Only spray the back side of each cover, and spray lightly over the entire back. 

3M 45 General Purpose Spray Adhesive

While you can use Mod Podge or another similar hobby low-tack glue, you'll need to buy brushes and set up a workstation as well. 

In both options, I'd recommend to roll the covers as soon as they are applied to ensure the best adhesion to the wall.

roller

While you can clear coat or place a layer of Mod Podge over the comic book covers, leaving it as is won't be an issue (sorry for the pun:smileyhappy:) as long as the wall isn't subjected to sunlight during the day. 

I hope this has helped you out, and we would love to see any after pics you have to post here on the Community, it sounds like a really fun project!

Hope to hear from you soon,

aboveaveragejoe

Posted 2012-08-11T19:41:52+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

For cleaning your shellac brushes, you'll find ammonia will work much faster. Denatured alcohol will just continually thin the shellac down till its so diluted you can wash it out with soap and water. Ammonia just works quicker and, as with alcohol, just wash the brush with soap and water to keep the bristles nice and soft. Just make a 50/50 mix of ammonia and water. As an aside, ammonia is a whole lot cheaper than wasting denatured alcohol for cleaning. You can pick up a bottle at any dollar store.

Posted 2012-08-12T18:40:25+0000  by Paul

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+