Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Concrete Etching Clean Up

I am starting a flooring project of painting my concrete floor and I have a couple questions. I understand that the cleaning/etching process is important. I have purchased Behr Concrete & Masonry Cleaner & Etcher and have read the directions. The part that I am concerned about is rinsing the product off. It will be inside my house and only starting in one room. The directions suggest a pressure washer, I don't think that will work for me. What are my other options? Also, when patching the concrete in the areas where the tack strips ripped created holes - should this be done before or after etching?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-05-15T06:10:48+0000  by Andrea_B Andrea_B

AndreaB,

The other option to acid etching is to rent a concrete abraiding machine. These look like floor buffers, but have diamond stones where the brushes would normally be.  Most have a port to hook up a vacumn to control the dust.The floor can also be misted with water to help control dust.

Either way, if using Behr acrylic floor paint or One Part Epoxy, Behr reccommends that you use its concrete bonding sealer. This is a clear, oil based product that is appllied with a roller and then given several hours to dry. The Behr Concrete Paint or One Part Epoxy  is then put over it.

As a thought, Behr Transparent Concrete Stain can be used to give a kind of acid washed  look to the concrete.

I am not sure that it makes a great difference if you patch the little tack strip craters before or after the other prep. RustOleum makes a two-part concrete patch for this purpose. It is available in the HD paint department.

Hope this has helped.

Posted 2013-05-15T15:48:22+0000  by ordjen

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+