Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Concrete driveway, need ideas/how-to paint / stain and seal

I live in Tucson and my driveway has a southern exposure. The paint and sealer that is on the driveway is about 18 years old and is badly worn. My questions are - Should I recover the driveway with a paint, dye or stain? (I need a tan or light brown coloration). Will the driveway then need to be sealed? The driveway has a steep approach from the road - Is silica sand an additive that I should use or is there something else? 

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-10-23T18:56:56+0000  by timber timber

Good Day Timber!

When you have a concrete drive, you will clean the surface with Behr Concrete Cleaner Etcher.

This product contains a mild acid that will open the pores of the concrete, reduce the existing color and prepare it from accepting concrete stain.

Stain is preferable because the product will add both color and water repellant with just two coats.

Additional water sealer may be added, but is certainly not necessary.

The benefit of not using a sealer will come years later when you don't have to remove the coating to refresh the stain ... you will simply clean the surface again and add a fresh coat of concrete stain.

FINALLY:

Adding silica sand to the mix will not benefit you, unless you intend to use paint as your new coating (a process I would discourage because it creates more complex future repairs).

So, keep it simple ... clean and etch, allow to dry, and coat with Behr Concrete Stain (either semi-transparent or solid color).

Posted 2013-10-25T16:36:16+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Hi Pat,

I really want to do what you suggest but I have some concerns. As I mentioned, I believe my driveway was coated with an Epoxy paint about 18 years ago and it is now badly worn and flakey.

I went to the Behr paint site and a video recommends the following.

- Pressure wash the driveway

- Use Behr concrete paint stripper to remove all loose paint - pressure wash

- Use Behr degreaser cleaner to clean - rinse

- Use Behr cleaner and etcher on all bare concrete - pressure wash

- Apply Behr bonding primer to all bare spots

- Finally apply the solid tan colored stain

This sounds very difficult, can I do it your way?

Timber

Posted 2013-11-16T23:12:44+0000  by timber

Hey timber!

The additional information makes all the difference ... eighteen year-old epoxy, although damaged, will still prevent stain from absorbing.

Stain is a penetrating sealer that must contact the unfinished cement to absorb properly.

Based upon this new information, you might prefer to clean, remove flaking paint, allow to dry, apply bonding primer, and paint again.

Should you choose to proceed with stain, then the stripping agent will be required to remove the old coating and expose the surface of the cement.

The details always make the difference!

Good luck with your project!

Posted 2013-11-19T16:02:49+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Another possiblility, especially since this is not in an enclosed area, is to rent a concrete grinder and actually grind the old finish off the surface. Some of the grinders actually hook up to a water hose to suppress the dust with water. The companies that specialize in  garage floor painting with epoxies prefer this meathod of getting rid of old finishes and leaving the concrete open and receptive to the new finish.

Time and cost wise, it is probably a trade off with using chemical strippers. You will probably be trading off some dust for flushing away a lot of old paint goop and stripper.

Home Depot actually does something similar in its stores. A contracting company comes in at night with special grinders, with powerful vacumns attached, grind the surface and then apply a clear coat. In the morning, the floors are shiney and no dust has been raised.

Posted 2013-11-19T18:07:00+0000  by ordjen

Thanks Pat,

The Home Depot here has Something called a Concrete prep tool which has diamond impregnated pads designed to remove the paint from Concrete driveways.

After the Behr cleaner and etcher, I plan on using Eagle acid stain and Eagle gloss coat sealer. My driveway has a pretty good slope and I am concerned about it being very slippery when wet. Can I add Talon Grip to this sealer to make it less slippery?

Off my patio, I have a pool and the patio can get wet.. I am going to redo the patio using Behr premium 1 part epoxy concrete and garage floor paint - Do I need to add something like Talon Grip to this too?

Posted 2013-11-22T23:28:13+0000  by timber

I haven't heard from you and I am now concerned as to what to order!!!

Posted 2013-12-03T02:58:08+0000  by timber

Hello Again timber!

Sorry for the delayed response.

My priorities during the last two weeks were at the local stores ... preparing for Black Friday and Cyber Monday.

Back to your driveway and patio.

TalonGrip in the two-ounce container is designed to cover approximately 400-square feet of surface.

According to the manufacturer:

Anvil TalonGrip Slip Resistant Additive is a finely ground polymer material to be added to paint or stains to achieve a slip resistant surface on walkways, driveways, garage floors, patios, pool decks and other surfaces. It may also be added to paints to create a fine texture effect. The physical properties of TalonGrip’s particle size will provide optimum abrasion resistance and is more comfortable to bare feet on pool decks and similar surfaces than sand additives. TalonGrip’s low density and insolubility characteristics will reduce or eliminate settling and provide optimum performance in film forming water based or solvent based paints, stains and sealers without changing the viscosity.

• Mix with stains or clear sealers to achieve a slip resistant finish
  • Dries clear in sealers
  • Chemical and solvent resistant, can be used in solvent based sealers
  • Micronized polymeric aggregate delivers optimum performance
  • Remains suspended in stains and clears, does not contain silica
  • Spherical-Shaped particles comfortable to bare feet around the pool
  • Use indoor or outdoor

There are several similar offerings in different markets, so ask your local Paint Associate for the traction additives.

When done, follow up to allow other Community Members to learn from your experience.

NOTE: TalonGrip "dries clear in sealers." so you will not only improve traction, but the product should not distract from the appearance ... although you should expect to see the slightly raised texture when light casts across the surface.

Posted 2013-12-03T14:27:12+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+