Sign In to join the community | Help
Outdoors

Concrete under raised deck

My back deck is about 6ft off the ground. the only thing under it is mudd and slippery clay. I would really like to put concrete or pavers under it so its not just mudd and clay. Not sure whats the best way to do it. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-06-28T20:12:52+0000  by mshellface mshellface

Hello mshellface,

Welcome to the community.

I personally prefer the look of pavers over concrete. I think it create a warmer and more inviting area. It’s also much easier to install if you’ve never done any concrete work before.

paver fountain.jpeg

In your situation I feel that pavers would work out the best. Due to later on down the road when you need to install a new post for your deck it would be a lot easier and less work.

If you lay a concrete slab around the existing deck posts you would either have to break out some of the concrete or take out the old post (which might damage the concrete) and patch the hole so that you could install a new surface mount post anchor. If you patch the area make sure that you anchor the new concrete to the old. This can be done by drilling a hole in the existing concrete and inserting a short piece of rebar that will stick out into the hole that the new concrete is being poured.

Building codes in your area might have restrictions on raised decks and how they are supported. So make sure and check with your local building code office.

If you really want to use concrete then you could leave an area around each post and lay decorative rock. This would give you the option to replace the post without damaging the concrete later.

If you go with pavers and you need to replace a post all you would have to do is take a few out, replace the post  and then replace the pavers along with a little more finishing sand and your repair is complete.

Ok enough of the downer information. Let’s get to the fun part.

Here is a concrete buying guild if you choose to go that route. Just a fair warning the guys that lay concrete for a living make it look pretty easy to do but I will tell you from my experience it’s not that easy. concrete slab.jpg

The one and only time that I laid a concrete slab I was in for a big surprise. The framing part was easy, mixing and transporting part was back breaking, tamping wasn’t bad and then the finishing was very finicky. After a long back breaking day of work it turned out good but now I know I’m never going to be a mason. :smileyindifferent:

I’ve layed quit a few pavers and they are still back breaking but at the end of the day I find that they are much easier to lay. It’s like putting a puzzle together. I even put my daughter to work when I layed my back yard she thought it was really cool that she could help.

paver circle pic.JPGpaver circle pic.JPGpaver3.jpgpaver4.jpg

Here is a video on how to lay pavers. There have also been quite a few posts on laying paver here on the community so here are a few links so you can check them out.

http://community.homedepot.com/t5/Outdoor-Living-Landscaping/Patio-pavers-circular-pattern/m-p/18137#M348

http://community.homedepot.com/t5/Outdoor-Living-Landscaping/New-Paver-Patio-on-clay/m-p/21573#M428

http://community.homedepot.com/t5/Outdoor-Living-Landscaping/Proper-slope-for-drainage-Paver-Patio/m-p/20479#M403

http://community.homedepot.com/t5/Outdoor-Living-Landscaping/Redoing-driveway-in-paver-stones/m-p/14945#M267

I hope this has given you all of the information that you needed to decide what kind of surface you want to lay under your deck. I’m sure whatever you do it will look great. Do us a favor and take some before and after pictures so all of us can admire your hard work. I look forward to seeing them.

Let me know if you have any other questions on this project or any other one that you’re doing.

Posted 2011-06-29T19:21:08+0000  by Christine_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+