Sign In to join the community | Help
Lumber & Composites

Conditioner for Danish Oil Stain

I want to stain some Silver Beech wood (native to New Zealand) but I am unsure if I should condition the wood beforehand.  If so what conditioner would be best when I'll be using Watco Danish Oil stain after conditioning?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2018-04-18T18:41:20+0000  by CraftyKiwi CraftyKiwi

User submitted photo

Greetings Craftykiwi,

I have always understood that Danish Oil is a wood conditioner and toner, that the oil itself will promote the most beautiful color the unfinished wood has to offer, once treated with the application of the Danish Oil, all by itself.

You wrote Danish Oil Stain, is that a colored stain,  if you are looking for a specific color outcome from your treatment you will need to get a Danish Oil Stain, in a desired hue; that is if want to alter the true color of the Silver Beech Wood, which is so beautiful, naturally!

Watco 1 pt. Natural Danish Oil

You may want to try your stain on a scrap piece of wood to see just what the effects will be on the raw wood, and then decide

One or the other, natural or stained your preference both treatments stain and protect, the stain will add color, the natural oil will just enhance the natural beauty or the raw wood. No need to treat before stain, the stain will do it all.

We would love to see a few images of you project! The above image is raw and treated birch wood, that is an application of natural Danish Oil, image taken from the Danish Oil page on, Home Depot.com

All the best, Maureen

Posted 2018-04-19T17:03:17+0000  by Maureen_HD_BOS

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+