Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

Connecting house to a floating deck with some difficult zoning regulations

I want to build a deck!  Unfortunately, I am in a community with some awkward building regulations.  In an ideal world, I would like to have a walk out deck from my sun porch (about 15 inches off the ground).  Unfortunately, because of setback regulations, I am not allowed to build a deck, but I may build a patio (max 8 inch height).  I have checked and a floating deck (dek Blox or equivilent) built with 2x6 joists qualifies as a patio if it is not attached to the house.  What I am trying to figure out is how to legally connect the house to the deck so that I do not have to take two steps down, then walk out and take one step up to the deck. 

Some thoughts:

Ideally, I would like to build the deck right up against the house and have a platform attached to the deck at walk out height.  I do not know if this will satisfy the building codes though

Another option is to have a platform bridge at 15 inch height built on 4x4s set in concrete that walks out the the deck set 3-5 feet from the house.  This would require railings and a zoning variance so it is probably not a good option

Any thoughts?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-03-09T16:50:15+0000  by MillardIII MillardIII

Hello Milllardlll, and welcome to the community!

I suggest building a freestanding patio! You may want to check with your village if you can use removable steps or ramps to bridge the gap between the home & patio surface. The picture below is obviously higher than they will allow, but the photo is only meant for reference, to distinguish the separation. 

"Ideally, I would like to build the deck right up against the house and have a platform attached to the deck at walk out height.  I do not know if this will satisfy the building codes though"

I think if you draw out what you are looking to build, and have your inspector at the site, you can discuss the possibilities, and what the village will approve. 

Another option is to have a platform bridge at 15 inch height built on 4x4s set in concrete that walks out the the deck set 3-5 feet from the house.  This would require railings and a zoning variance so it is probably not a good option.

You idea may be approved, you just need to have the inspector make an assessment of the area of where the deck/patio will go, you may also possibly get a special variance. 

When it comes to getting permits, and zoning changes, it doesn't hurt to ask, they can only say no, if they do, as for an alternative. If you don't build it, they won't get the permit fees or the increase in taxes, most villages will work with you to an extent. 

freestanding-deck-disturbed-soil-3d.jpg

The photo was used with permission from NACHI.org

Posted 2012-03-09T18:18:22+0000  by Angelo_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+