Sign In to join the community | Help
Install & Replace

Connecting plastic to copper pipe

I am putting a laundry sink in the basement and water supply is  on the far side of the basement.  I would like to avoid sweating all that pipe as I have some obstacles in the way of my run.  Can I use plastic pipe instead, and if so how do I initially connect to the 1/2 inch copper pipe?  Also, can I use pipe cement on the joints and angles or do I need special couplings? 

Thanks, Bob

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-04-06T15:54:51+0000  by sparky40 sparky40

Greetings Sparky,

Welcome back! I hope the vanity project turned out well and am happy you are continuing to stay busy with DIY projects around your home.

My name is Tom, known here as HD 116 and I am pleased to share that you can complete this project with "no sweat!" Recent improvements in plumbing technology allow for the connection of copper, cpvc, and pex pipe without sweating or special tools through couplings called SharkBite fittings.

SharkBite fittings are "Lighting Fast and Won't let go" and are available at your local Home Depot. You will find them suitable for additions, repairs, and they meet requirements for underground and no access applications. They can even be used in wet applications without drying out the system. All you need do is cut the pipe square, remove any rough debris, and press until you hear it "click" (at one inch) and you are done! SharkBite fittings meet UPC, IPC, and cUPC requirements and are available in various configurations from 3/8" to 1" fittings and 1/2" to 1" valves. The following video gives a great overview of this excellent product;

Hope that helps, please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Posted 2011-04-06T17:22:01+0000  by HD116

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+